A Place For May-Ann

VOTE AND COMMENT

-------------------------------

May-Ann

I sit in the passenger side as Louis drives to the place I hate most. The park. Yes, yes I know. It's stupid to hate the park, but parks are where homeless people sleep, viruses lurk, filthy garbage on the ground, little sticky, gross kids running around, chewing gum everywhere, unknown liquids on the ground and bird poop along with many other things on the benches.

Whenever I keep something from Louis, he drags me to the park until I confess everything that I'm hiding. I absolutely hate it. For the first twenty minutes we sit on the filthy benches in silence before I finally burst. It's a dreadful process, but it keeps us close. Otherwise I would jump out of the car at any given moment. Trust me, I've tried.

Louis sighs as he parks the and gets out. I follow in his footsteps. He waits for me in front of the car. I completely miss the step to get out of the car, causing me to fall forward with a scream. Thankfully I caught myself with my other foot. I stand up straight, fix my clothes and hair then walk over to Louis. I see him trying to hold his laughter in. I slap his arm and he yells in laughter.

It's silent now, just us walking over and sitting on the terrible bench. He knows I won't talk yet so he sits back and types away on his phone. I move around on the bench, looking for a cleaner place to lean back on. No use. Everything about this bench is disgusting. It almost makes me want to cry. I huff and look up at the bright blue sky. Hardly any clouds today, nice weather.

Twenty minutes have passed. The urge to get out of here becomes unbearable when I see two dirty, older homeless men fighting over food. I quickly turn to Louis, He looks at me, his phone still below his chin. He raises his eyebrows as if to say "are you ready to stop being stubborn and tell me or?" I nod and swallow hard.

"Louis, Dom and I have been talking for awhile. He just asked me to be his girlfriend last week, I like him. So I said yes. I should've told you, but I was scared you would instantly shoot him down because he's related to Sear. I know you don't like him, but I like his brother and-" I rush out. I stop myself, taking a breath and looking over at Louis. His face straight, I stare a little longer. He finally shows me emotion.

"You could've told me, I would've wanted to meet him first. Ya know? For my approval. I guess that's to late. I still want to meet him. I don't care about him being related to Sear. I just want you to be happy, May-Ann. I don't want some boy breaking your heart. Your only thirteen, you don't need that," he says, sadness coating his words as they spill out of his mouth. I slump down, looking at the ground. I feel his arm rest on my shoulders as he brings me closer to him. My head against his chest, him hugging me before kissing the top of my head and standing up.

He gives me a hand, I take it and walk beside him to the car. We both hop in and head back home.

--------------------

Karma Smith

I walk through my front door. I see Kriss sitting on the bench in front of the door. She quickly shoots up.

"Karma!" She yells, throwing her arms around me. I stand there, not really wanting to hug back. Over Kriss' shoulder I see Rose pop into the small room, food falling out of her mouth. She looks at me and Kriss with a smile. I wave at her.

"Hmp," she tries to speak, food spewing out of her mouth. Disgusting.

"Uh, Kriss? Could you, like get off me now or?" I say, wiggling in her grasp. She groans and releases before running her hands all over my face, fixing my hair and such like a mother. I playfully scold her, as if I were her child. "Why're you guys here? Where's my dad?" I ask. Rose shrugs and points at Kriss. I look at Kriss. She clears her throat dramatically.