Chapter 20

Wow 20 chapters. I never finish anything but when I started writing this fic I was DETERMINED. I still am and I genuinely plan on finishing it (don't worry though, there are still plenty more chapters to come) I can't even believe that this has turned into an actual story with like an actual plot line... at first I was planning on just making this to cope with things and also out of love for Jack Frost lol. But I truly never expected it to get this many reads and I'm so grateful for all the comments and votes. I just wanted to thank you for sticking around on this journey and for supporting me. Anyway, enough of this mushy stuff we want angst! Happy reading I love you all! <3 Ps: sooo I messed up. I never explained that Kate and Greg already know that Pitch can hear people's thoughts so just pretend they already know for me okay? X)

My hand flew to my hair, as if I could feel for something wrong. "It's what?"

Everyone in the room turned to stone as they stared at me.

They had to be lying. I was a spirit; my hair hadn't been brown since I died over 300 years ago. "Someone tell me this is a joke." My heart was like glass, breaking a little every time it beat against my chest. When no one burst out laughing, nor told me it was a joke, I grabbed a handheld mirror off the large wooden desk I had been leaning on. As my hair came into view on the reflective surface my lungs seemed to forget how to work. Sure enough, there were a handful of brown strands standing out against the rest of my snow white hair. "How is this possible?" I managed to ask despite the seeming lack of oxygen in the room.

"I... I don't know." Pitch uttered delicately, as if the words would shatter if he wasn't careful with them.

"Wait, what if this is another symptom of his sickness? Like the riddle says, 'the less of you there will be.' What if this is him losing his center?" Kate said seeming to regain her words after the initial panic.

"What happens when the last of his hair turns brown?" Asked Greg.

"I... will probably... die..." I trailed off.

Kate tried not to wince at the words, but ultimately failed. "But there has to be a way to beat this thing right? We have to try."

Greg's brows had drawn together, as he was deep in thought. "'When you're all gone, under the dawn I will be,' maybe that means that when our time runs out, Jack has to defeat the spirit eater 'under the dawn.'"

"Maybe, but how am I supposed to find that? How much more abstract can you get with a saying? The bastard probably only said it so it would rhyme and he could send us on a wild goose chase." I knew what I was saying was negative, but I felt so helpless. I couldn't do much right these days, so what makes them think I can save myself? My wrists itched to be sliced open, and all I wanted to do was run away from the situation. I refrained from harming myself only because every part of my body felt as if it were filled with lead.

"Jack, stop thinking things like that, more of your hair is turning brown." Pitch scolded. "Look around, every person in this room knows how you feel. You're hopeless and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but that's what we're here for. We are your light, so let us help you."

My gaze cast down to the floor, suddenly finding my bare feet very interesting. I didn't know if it was the monster taking over my thoughts or just my own self doubt, but I couldn't help but feel like he was wrong.

"Jack, I promise you, I will not let this monster win. No matter what it takes, we will stop him." Kate said reassuringly as she rested a hand on my shoulder.

I looked up to meet Kate's deep brown eyes, only to notice that they were forming glimmering tears. She never let a single one fall.

****

Pitch had spent hours reading through books on the right side of the library, trying to find anything about a 'dawn.' Kate and Greg were searching on the left side. I was supposed to be helping Pitch, but I couldn't seem to keep my eyes open. It was odd that I was tired, spirits never felt the need to rest. My eyelids were growing too heavy for me to question it as I finally gave in and rested on a nearby couch. As soon as I laid back I was consumed by sleep.

The darkness was all around me again. This time I knew what to expect, and at first I was afraid. I calmed my erratic breathing with the thought that maybe I would get another clue. Maybe we'll get one step closer to killing the spirit eater and I will never again have to see Kate cry for me.

"Welcome back," a foreboding voice boomed next to my ear.

I jumped and spun around quickly to see the evil version of me with that twisted grin clawing its way up my face.

"Why am I here?"

"It seems my riddle was too hard for you. I summoned you to see if I could be of service," the spirit eater said. He was acting almost gentlemanly. I could see from his ugly grin that he had other intentions though.

"Why would you want to help me? Aren't you trying to kill me?"

"On the contrary, Mr. Frost. I only wish to aid you in seeing the truth about yourself." He paced in circles around me, and I had to turn around myself just to keep glaring ice daggers at him. If looks could kill...

"I'm not interested in anything you have to tell me," I spouted defiantly.

"Oh? Not even if it helps you in your quest to find me?" He snickered to himself. "Think, Jack. Where do all of your problems lead back to? Under a dawn would be darkness, would it not? Your problems are pure darkness, you should know this better than anyone!" He was nearly yelling at me now. Throwing all of my pain back in my face.

"Shut up! I can't think! Just shut up!" I screamed as I sank to my knees covering my ears. The words he spat echoed louder and louder in my head until I was spinning. Spinning out of control. He was leading me deeper and deeper down a never-ending spiral until I felt like I might throw up.

I had had enough. The sheer scream of agony that escaped my throat surprised even me. But the spinning had stopped and I could finally form a thought again.

"All of my problems started when you showed up," I growled out still cradling my ears.

"Wrong. Try again. Think farther back, I wasn't what caused your misery, I just helped you realize it. When did everything start. To. Go. Wrong?" He asked with staccato.

When did everything go wrong? How far back would that be? I had a happy life with my mom and sister when I was alive, so it has to be after I died...

My head raised up out of my hands as I gasped at my realization.

"Yes, you've got it now don't you?" The demon before me bellowed out in a crazed laughter.

I got to my feet and started to stride over to the spirit eater. No matter how many steps I took though, he always stayed the same distance away."You can't hide anymore! We're coming for you and next time I won't let you win!" I used the last of my strength to shout those anger fuelled promises at him before I faded back into conciousness.