Errememba

"Kare! "

"Kare!"

The little girl's cry pierced the air as she shook the lifeless body cradled in her lap with a desperate urgency. The woman, youthful in appearance, laid before her, bathed in an excessive pool of blood. Her unusually pallid hand pressed firmly against a gaping wound near her abdomen, struggling to stem the relentless flow of crimson. Once-bright, wavy hair now lay dull and saturated with blood, painting a grim picture. The light had faded from her eyes, leaving them vacant and completely drained of life.

The little girl cried out, violently shaking the limp body laying on her lap. The limp body belonged to a woman, a young adult. The body was covered in an absurd amount of blood. Her paler-than-usual hand laid on a gaping hole near her stomach, attempting to stop even more blood from leaking out. Her once bright, wavy hair was now dull, and had hints of red, fully immersed with the blood around her. It looked as if life completely left her eyes. 

In addition to her stomach, various other parts of her body had suffered extensive damage, but none more evident than her left leg. It was grotesquely twisted, a horrifying contortion that forced several bones to pierce through her broken skin, creating a macabre tableau of injury and agony.

 Just one look at her and you could easily tell that she didn't have much time left in this world. In fact, one would be surprised that she was still breathing, even if albeit in small, trembling gasps.

"Heya... Ko," the woman breathed out, her voice hoarse and strained, a stark contrast to her typically cheery and carefree tone. The roughness in her voice sent a shiver down the little girl's spine, unaccustomed to hearing such a tone.

The woman took notice and summoned her signature grin in an effort to soothe the girl's anxiety. However, the usual joyous impact of her smile was completely gone, tainted by the blood trickling from her lips.

"Startled by your own sister? You wound me so," Her voice was hoarse but still had a sliver of a teasing tone to it.

The little girl, she couldn't be more than 5 years old, stared at the woman, attempting to stifle her sobs. It was only when she was reasonably certain her voice wouldn't betray her emotions that she finally spoke.

"Sto..." Her voice still cracked despite her efforts, and she inwardly cursed herself before mustering the resolve to continue. "S-Stop joking."

"Watcha' mean?" The woman feigned innocence, her voice full of mirth, "No idea whatcha' talking 'bout."

The little girl clenched her teeth, frustration evident in her voice as she snapped, "Don't you see the state you're in?" Tears flowed down her cheeks, tracing the path of those that had come before.

"'s all because of him! That greedy, selfish, asshole-"

"Language," the woman interjected gently.

"-is why you're like this! He was never going to help our clan. He was going to take advantage of everyone!" She took a moment to stifle the sobs that threatened to overwhelm her once more.

The little girl continued, her voice quieter this time, laden with sorrow. "When the clan finally saw a chance to grow... a chance for our future clan members to thrive... guess what he did... he killed that chance." She paused for a moment, carefully choosing her words, "He had no right ."

The woman's grin faded, and her gaze shifted from the little girl to the ceiling,  "Ko, he was our king, chosen by Aten. You saw the cerem-."

"No!"