Chapter 1

Grant woke up in an alley, but the sun was setting. 'Did I just miss a whole day of school?' he asked himself, then sighed. 'My dad's going to be mad. He might even think of revoking our deal.' Their agreement was that Grant wouldn't skip school, and his dad- Nathen- would repair Grants car so he could stop walking everywhere.

'Well I might as well get home.' Grant thought. As he sat up he was a little dizzy, but it faded. He looked around and noticed the cement was a weird color as he tried to stand, like a rusty red. The dizziness came back and he fell back on his butt. 'God I'm acting like such a wimp. Get a grip.' he told himself and gritted his teeth as he stood up again. The dizziness only faded a little, but using the wall he managed to get out of the alleyways. A car pulled up to the curb as he neared the street and two police officers came out.

One of them had a smooshy, flat face. He was also short and chubby. The other officer was tall and average looking, although next to his partner he looked very handsome even to a straight guy like Grant.

"My name is Matt, and this is my partner Burt." he motioned to the short one before continuing. "We're looking for a Grant Pett, and he matches your general description."

"Did I do something wrong?" Grant asked confused. Last time he checked it wasn't illegal to miss one day of school. Besides he didn't want trouble with the authorities.

"What happened to your neck boy?" the fat one- Burt- asked him. Grant looked down to find blood on his shirt. 'It was probably mine in the alley too.' he thought, thinking back.

"I think I got hit." he answered honestly. Starting to remember his morning he lifted a hand to his head and winced. "And hit. Hard."

"What hit you?" asked Matt.

  'Ummm a beautiful girl. I don't know what she used, but she's defiantly a sadist. Can't tell them that, they might think I'm sick and was trying to do something nasty to her. WELL... you kind of were.' Part of his mind argued. 'It's not my fault she was gorgeous and threw herself at me.' He argued back. Knowing he couldn't say that he said, "I don't know." Well it was halfway true.

"You trying to be smart boy?" Asked Burt. "If so we'll just take you downtown till we get a coherent story from you."

Surprised that he knew such a big word (heavy sarcasm, it isn't that big a word) Grant said what came to mind, "I haven't done anything wrong." he thought a second then added, "I know my rights." Actually he didn't but his logic was it always works in the movies.

"We don't know yet." Burt said.

Barley holding back a smart reply, he reminded himself he didn't want issues with the cops and waited for them to get to their point.

"Lay off him a little Burt." Matt said to his partner. Now speaking to Grant he said, "Don't worry. We were looking for you 'cause your dads been calling in, saying you never made it to school. He said it had to be a kidnapping 'cause you two made a deal?" At this he looked to his partner for verification. Burt just shrugged so Matt continued. "We told him he had to wait 24 hours before he could call it a kidnapping, but he was persistent and didn't stop calling till we told him we'd look into it. Took us a the better part of three hours to find you here, coming out of an alley."

Grant knew he'd never be able to explain the true events of the morning without sounding perverted or crazy. He'd just have to endure whatever punishment he got. From both the police and his dad.

When he didn't say anything Burt said, "Well, we'll give you a ride home. I guess we could call it an escort, though." He was smiling a twisted angry smile, and it slightly frightened Grant.

'An ugly smile for and ugly person, and not just in the looks compartmentt.' Grant thought to himself as he made his way slowly to the police car. Matt didn't seem nearly as bad, you might even say he was nice. 'How could these two work as partners?' He asked himself, completely bewildered.

.....

When they pulled up to his apartment, Grant waited for one of them to let him out (as he was in the back of a squad car). He walked up to the third floor and knocked on the door. His father opened it red faced, proof that he'd been drinking.

"Well look who came home." He said on a hiccup. "After everything that's happened to this family you want to just up and run away, or whatever you were doing." He was slurring badly, so Grant knew he'd had at least four whole bottles of liquor.  "Maybe I outta..." the rest Grant couldn't understand so he just waited.

Nathen opened the door wider and let his son in. Grant walked in silently, and his father closed the door behind him, then made his way to the window. About to go to his room and leave his dad to his drinking, Grant turned and met his fathers fist. As he stumbled backward his father yelled. "What were you doing all day? Besides throwing you education- your chance at a better life than this- away?"

When Grant didn't say anything, his father advanced toward him. To Nathen that was all the confirmation he needed that his son was fucking off again like last year. HE thought they fixed that, thought they'd come to an agreement. His pride was hurt because he felt fooled. 'How could I let my son trick me?!' he asked himself.. 'Well it won't happen again. I'll beat the bad out of him if I have to.'

He lifted his hand to strike again and Grant darted down the hall to his room. He had installed all kinds of locks on his door to keep his dad out. As he reached his room he skidded into it, slammed it shut and began locking himself in. Not two seconds after he finished with all 12 locks his father banged on the door.

"Let me in Grant. We need to talk." his father yelled from the other side. When Grant neither replied nor opened the door Nathen pounded his fist on it. "Open the door or I'll break it down." he threatened. Both of them knew he wouldn't though, for two reasons: one is because he couldn't, and two, even if he could, he'd have to fix it tomorrow.

After roughly an hour of banging, yelling at his son, and getting complaints from the neighbors, Nathen quieted and made his way to the couch. Sleep came to him quickly, but Grant waited another hour, just to be sure, before he came out and began picking up after his father.

He picked up the overturned furniture, and the liquor bottles, as well as the trash around the living room. When he finished, Grant put a blanket over his fathers sleeping frame and took a hot shower. He went straight to bed afterwards. The last thought he had before sleep came to him was 'All this for a girl I don't know, and probably won't see again...'