Chapter 20

Serenity wanted to cry, she felt bad about leaving Grant, but it was best for him. He would be safer if he forgot all about her, she would forget all about him too, in time. At least that's what she told herself. In all honesty she was torn, torn between a human- an enemy to her race- and her family- all vampires.

If this is the right thing, than why do I feel so crappy? She asked herself silently. She knew, but what it always came back to was the fact that she missed Grant. She missed him, and wanted him, and cared for him. 

There was a knock on the door that brought her out of her reverie.

"Come in,' She demanded lightly. Once the door opened Serenity saw it was a younger half breed- Clarii. 

Clarii bobbed a curtsy, a habit she never seemed to lose since her upbringing in the 1500's. "My queen, the human boy you invited is here for you."

Grant. She thought hopefully, but quickly shoved that thought back to the corners of her mind. Outloud she asked, "What human boy?"

"The one who was with you before, my queen." Clarii lowered her head in respect to let Serenity think.

"Bring him to me then, unharmed." She clarified. Stupid Grant, I left because I didn't want you mixed up in this. 

"As my queen wishes." Clarii left to get him.

So it was Grant after all, she thought amused. How had he remembered where they were? It was a confusing maze of a place and in a secluded area-for the big city anyway. She was so happy to see him, but wondered what he would say or do once reunited with her.

 He was escorted in to her and with a flick of her wrist she sent Clarii away. Serenity was so happy to see him, but now more than ever she had to push him away. He couldn't be a slave like Amber or the others.

"What do you think you're doing here?" She asked as coldly as possible.

"I came by to see why you flipped up on me. You know I care about you, I'm just confused why you thought hurting me was nessicary. Whatever your problem is we can work through it together."

 "Our arrangment is done. I want nothing more to do with you. It was fun while it lasted but we've got to cut our losses and move on.As she spoke she could almost feel her heart breaking in two. But it needed to be done.

"I know all about you. We've talked before, remember? We can do this together, so open the fuck up and talk to me Serenity. What's pushing you away from me?" His voice was cracking from the emotions he was holding back. She knew it must be agonizing for him to put himself through this because his heart was beating faster and faster, the more they talked.

She studied him for a minute, then finally broke out of her self control. "Listen you idiotic human I have a duty to my people. I am the last pure-blood. As such you can't expect me to leave everything I've always worked and made sacrifices for to be with you, can you? I need to be the leader my coven needs and I don't want you to get hurt by stepping in the middle of it."

" Oh yes I can! After everything you've put me through, hell yes I can. There's always another option.  I'm sorry if I'm not the one you want but you're stuck with me.  Damn it, I'm sorry I love you enough to stay and try to make things right."

Now her heart picked up it's pace, what was she doing? She loved him too, why was she being this way? Because of your responcibility to the clan. Of course she had a responcibility to her people, but didn't she have a responcibility to herself and her loved one? 

"I love you, you idiot. I don't want to lose you, and if that means staying away to keep you safe then at least you won't be dead from affiliation."

"Serenity, I'm here." He finally moved closer and hugged her close to him. "Anything you need I'm here for. And guess what babe, you need to come up with a better plan than world domination."

"I already have close to 10,000 people held hostage here. I don't see another option."

"Use them as hostages." He seemed way to accepting even to himself, but it didn't matter any more. He was with Serenity, helping her. "Go somewhere public and share your story like you did with me. Tell them you're keeping hostages until a rough peace treaty can be made."

Serenity let her head drop to his shoulder. "That just might work, thank you Grant. So how do we do this?" 

"Together." He said kissing his lover soundly, causing them both to smile.