Chapter 19

Grant didn't go home that night, or the next one. He hung out with Matt letting himself drown out memories and feelings. Obviously nothing meant as much to Serenity as it did him, and he'd have to suffer the consequences of becoming a missing person eventually, but that didn't stop him.

"Hey Grant, when're you going home, man?" Matt asked drunk out of his mind. "Moms is asking questions and you're drinking all the liquor." 

"Sorry Matt. I know you have better things to do, but it's not a good time for me." Grant slurred the words out to his best friend. He knew Matt didn't mean anything by it and was just worried for him in a brotherly way.

"Oh, yeah. That Seline chick dumped you, huh?"

Grant nodded but didn't say anything. The reason he was trying to get drunk was because of her. And once again his friend had said her name wrong, but he was being kind enough to let him stay at the house and, well... lose himself a bit.

"So why are you here and not at home?" Matt slurred the question.

"You know how my old man gets." Grant replied as he started seeing his friend spin. 

It was silent for a bit, then, "You know what we need man? We should go to a party and crash it, because honestly I think you could do with some exercise. To much more sitting around and your going to lose your figure and get a beer belly." Matt chuckled the last words out.

"You say it like I'm a girl and worried about that kind of thing." Grant grumbled. "You're right though. We should go out, I'll drive us to Christens' house. Her parents aren't home for the week so there's bound to be a party.

.   .   .   .   .

A few missed turns, almost fender benders, and skipped lights later they made it to Christens' place. There were already  cars parked outside and down both sides of the expensive street. There was loud music and flashing strobe lights coming from inside the open door. 

"Well, it looks like we're in the right place." Matt said as he blinked his eyes. 

"Yup." Grant said popping the P. 

They both climbed out of the car and stumbled their way over to the house. Once inside there were obvious signs of underage drinkers. There were a few people from the school passed out along the couches, even more dancing to the beat of the music. 

"Hi!" Grant turned to see the person greeting him and Matt was a follower of Amber's. What was her name? Chelsea? Mary? she was cute, though, with auburn hair, green eyes and a killer body. Not as good as Serenity's, but still.

"Hello." He called over the music. The girl made her way over to the new arrivals. 

"Thank goodness. When you stopped showing up to school everyone thought you were missing too." She began leading him away from Matt and the mass of gyrating bodies until the music was quieter. "I was worried." She admitted with a blush.

"Missing people?" He asked. 

"Oh yeah." She nodded her head vehemently. "Ever since Serenity left, more and more people went missing, starting with Amber. You know now that she's out of the way I want to tell you I like you." She began once again leading him, this time down a corridor and into a bedroom. 

"Wait I thought you were her friend?" Grant said it like a question. 

"Please! Amber only ever thinks of herself." She stat plopping herself on a bed. 

"Then why are you always with her?" He mumbled, confused.

"Amber squashes all competition. Either you join or you die. Now, lets stop talking about her. I don't want to talk about her, she's finally out of my life and you're in mine." She slid a strap from one shoulder, then the other. It was funny but before he hadn't even noticed her clothing. Now he say her 1/2 on red, tank top and black minni skirt that framed her beautifully.

"Wait. I'm sorry i don't even remember your name. I don't want you to regret anything." He said holding his hands up like a shield. 

"Marlon. And your Matt, now that we have the introductions done with..." She left the sentence to hang in the air. She got off the bed and slid her skirt off as she walked up to him. "What's wrong?" She asked when he still hesitated. "Don't you think i'm pretty?" 

Grant put his hands on her exposed lower back for an answer, and she leaned into him, quickly pulling off his leather jacket. Maybe he went about getting rid of Serenity's memory the wrong way. Maybe he just needed to have a more physical cleansing. At least that's what he told himself as he focused on the girl. Medan, was it? He couldn't think right, still drunk.

.   .   .   .   .

He woke up sometime after 3pm with his latest conquest still in his arms. It had been officially three days since Christines' party and Ambers' follower. Quietly but quickly he got up. As much as he told himself it would take time he couldn't get that one blonde haired, blue eyed beauty out of his head. 

He pulled on his clothes and decided to go home. After all it wasn't his fathers fault and he would probably be worried. Looking back one more time before exiting the room he saw she was still asleep. Silently he exited the house and made his way back to his fathers apartment. 

Luckily it didn't look like his dad was home when he got there, although it did leave Grant with a question. Where was his dad if not at the apartment? 

Grant got new clothes and took a shower. He had to confront Serenity. That was his conclusion. After grabbing everything he might need for a hidden superior race, he tried to remember exactly where she took him. He'd go find her and talk some sense into her. She had to see what they had was special, all it would take is a few persuading words from him. He could do it. 

With that in mind he waited for the bus, determined to ride it until it's last stop