Chapter 13

Grant walked up to Serenity's still form. She was leaning against the gate and her dress was riding up in the front due to her posture and the wind. He hurried over to her, only to see Amber marching up quickly. He ran up to Serenity and gestured for her to show him the way.  Not that he in anyway cared for Amber accept for a booty call, but he didn't want her to make an even bigger fool of herself for one day.

Serenity looked directly at her and it occurred to Grant that she was more aware than she played at. Despite the vast amount of people exiting the school Serenity's eyes found her easily through the crowd. She turned to Grant and smiled. 

"Ready?" She asked. He knew he'd never get tired of her bell like voice. He nodded. Her face looked so nervous and serious for a second. He grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, hoping to reassure her they would be all right. Serenity's sapphire eyes hardened with determination.

During the hours she ditched she sent word to her coven that she would bring a human home for a few hours. Serenity told all but her most trusted members to make themselves scarce. Everyone except for James and Anasty, would be absent from Grants prying eyes. Both of them knew their role would be as her cousins she told Grant about yesterday in the woods.

She began leading him off the school premises. She looked down at their hands, still holding each other, and she smiled. It felt nice to feel the warmth of another. They took the bus to the rundown area of New York. 

Grant looked at her, surprised. This was near his home. She looked right back at him, nervous, as if he was going to say she's not as fancy as he thought and ditch her. He gave her a comforting smile. "How much farther?"

"Last stop, everyone off." The bus driver said to the occupants. 

"Just a little bit of a walk from here." She said as she rose and pulled Grant off the bus. She began walking toward the majestic, yet condemned buildings. If they got repaired they would be better than the skyscrapers and shiny office buildings in the more populated areas.

Grant looked at her quizzically, but followed. With every step her ringlets bounced and swirled around her waist. Her dress was as long as her hair he realized. She walked down an alley twisting and turning along the alleyways. 

She turned to a weird looking 1 story house and smiled. "Here it is." 

"Are we going inside?"

"Yes, unless you don't want to." She seemed almost hopeful.

"Ok, lead the way Serenity." 

She pouted and turned toward the door. Opening the door she called out. "James, I brought company."

He seemed to materialize from the shadows next to Grant. James shut the door. "Welcome home honey," He said with a smile. "Who's your friend?"

"James, this is Grant. Grant this is James." She said gesturing between them. "He is pretty much all the family I have." She turned, smiling in a approving way at James.

"Nice to meet you." Grant said offering his hand. 

James looked at his outstretched palm with confusion. 

Slowly Grant took his hand back and put it in his pocket. 

"Are you two hungry?" Asked James.

"I'm not." Replied Grant looking toward Serenity. She shook her head no.

"We are going to my room. Call if you need us." Serenity said, then began pulling Grant along again.

They came to a staircase leading down and Grant paused, unsure. She felt him stop, and turned to look at him, confusion riddling her face.

"Don't stair usually go above ground?" He asked.

"Usually they do." Noticing he was slightly afraid she tried to reassure him. "Don't worry, the worst is behind us."

Not knowing what she meant he followed, giving in. His senses were on full alert though he couldn't tell why. As they descended more and more into the cavern of darkness, lights came on. Behind him the silence was screaming, and when the lights dulled he thought he could make out red eyes watching his movements attentively.

"Don't worry, Grant." Serenity said, feeling his nervousness increase with every step. "The lights are motion activated. We're almost to my room."

They came to a hallway like structure, and turned down it, although the stairs kept going down. It was like there was more levels and hallways and rooms, continuing on and on into the depths of hell. She turned into the first room in the hallway. Opening the door and she motioned Grant in.

He walked in and was surprised to see it was like any normal girls room, despite where it was located. There was a purple comforter with blue butterflies on the bed. Purple curtains, and stickers of butterflies put up on the room. There was also this huge door.

"What's in there?" He asked. Serenity smiled and opened the doors to reveal a large closet. Grants mouth gaped open. 'James must be loaded.' He thought. All the clothes were designer brands. "This is your room?" Grant asked incredulously. 

"One of them." She replied. He turned to her, waiting for you to explain. "This whole floor is mine, so all the rooms here are mine." She explained. 

Grants mouth was hanging open again in his shock. The beautiful idol in front of him had a whole underground lair to herself. Then it clicked.... "You said floor." She looked up worried. "That means more than one and a lot more stairs." She nodded, beginning to get nervous. "How many more?"

"I don't think you should know." She told him looking at the ground. 

This got him angry, he wanted to know everything about her, and she wouldn't even tell him how big her house was. It wasn't stalker-like it was protective and loving. Grant never wanted to be without her. A brilliant plan popped into his head.

He pushed her backwards, onto her bed. Then climbed on top of her. He leaned down and kissed just below her ear. She moaned and turned her head, allowing him to have more access. "Do you like me?" He asked, trailing kisses down her neck and back up.

"Yes." She managed to gasp out. Grants kisses were driving her crazy.

"And do you trust me?" Looking into her eyes he lowered his head till his lips were brushing hers. 

"Yes." She whimpered.

"Then why," his lips continued moving on hers, "Won't you let me into your heart?"

She froze. And looked him dead in the eye. "Because I'm afraid I'll hurt you." she said, her eyes tearing up. She knew she couldn't cry. It would bring the coven in, smelling her blood. (She has tears of blood in case you couldn't tell.) They would hurt Grant, and even worse Grant would know she isn't normal, would know she wasn't natural. 

"You could never hurt me, unless you rejected me." Grant told her. She closed her eyes, willing her tears not to fall. 

"You're so naive." She said with a bitter chuckle. "I could kill you Grant, and the thing is... You wouldn't be my first. I have killed hundreds of people because it's what I need to do, it's how I survive."