Chapter 04

I'm so screwed... was all that Francis thought when he had struck that deal. Thankfully, Francis didn't have to work today, meaning he could scheme about what he should do. He couldn't take off with the funds as he didn't know what they would do exactly and maybe this could be his break. His break to be something more.

He glanced down at the daily newspaper and noticed a small ad about a detective that piqued his interest. Maybe this is how I can save my skin!

He instantly jotted down the address and shot out through his front door, booking it through the heavily populated town square and began to slow down when a silhouette in the distance grew closer and closer.

Francis walked towards the small hall where many detectives who worked against smuggling pirates supposedly worked. He glanced down at the ad and gave an eye raise towards the building. The building wasn't one that Francis would expect to look like a detective building. A window was boarded up, like it was protecting itself from strangers and the foundation was tilted, almost like an artist had drawn it out and refused to fix it. The roof was laughable. Everything felt like a child had planned the building out without any prior knowledge for landscaping.

Deep in thought, his hand grasped at the door only to veer out of the way for a storming female with tan skin and a light beige dress following after her. Her eyes were narrowed and her fists were clenched up.

"If they won't give me a discount because I am a girl, then I'll take my body somewhere else...!" Francis caught tattoos of a gang all over her body, the vibes giving off a lady of the night who knew how to have a good time he heard from Edward. Why would they turn her away if that was true...?

Francis would have chased after her, curious about her story (and the way her body moved in the night), but he couldn't stop to go save a damsel in distress. He needed to get the smuggling pirate off the market and keep his head and FINALLY get the recognition he deserved.

He trotted into the detective office and veered his eyes away in disgust. The inside was almost as miserable as the outside. The inside was cluttered and filled to the brim, boxes reached the ceiling as papers fluttered freely like butterflies. There were 3 rooms with nameplates, and a desk where a young secretary sat. She had brown, short hair cropped off to the side and green eyes.

"Hey~" He breathed, his mouth gaping open as he had to slap himself to slam his trap shut.

She giggled and waved. "Hi there." Her voice fluttered into his ears and bounced around the walls of his ear canal. He couldn't help but feel a thin line draw itself so cheerfully in its place. This girl lights up this ugly room.

"What's a beautiful sunflower like you doing in a place like this?" He leaned up against her desk as her eyes crinkled even brighter. She let out a small flustered giggle as her hand went up to her chest, like she was spoiled with compliments.

"Thank you. That brightened up my day." Her hand lightly brushed her brown hair more off to the side. Francis saw more of her eyes and leaned forward.

"I love your eye color, it's so pretty- it's like an emerald green and it's shiny like a gem."

Yep. I'm marrying this girl. His mind panted as she leaned closer towards him, blushing darkly and glanced up at the frenchmale, who asked, "what's your name, darling?"

She smiled. "Joan."

"What a pretty name!" He remarked. He closed his eyes and let the name run off his tongue. Joan. Joan. Joan.

"And what's yours?" Joan giggled, her voice smooth and angelical. Francis gleamed when he heard her question. Maybe they would grow close and develop a bond?