revenant [jung hoseok]

note: happy halloween everyone!!

--

—a super cheap house that nobody else wants to buy? what could go wrong?

word count: 1.8k

----

Hoseok probably should have guessed that getting such a nice place for such a low price came with consequences. At first, nothing happened, and despite his friends' warnings and references to horror movies, he believed it was completely fine.

Then, at three o'clock one night, he wakes up to see a tall, shadowed figure standing at the end of his bed.

Hoseok freaks out and screams as he tumbles out of his bed, his legs getting caught in the sheets. The man in his bedroom doesn't... do anything, though. Not like Hoseok was expecting, anyway, like chasing after him or devouring his soul.

Instead, the man laughs, doubling over and pointing at Hoseok.

"Oh—oh fuck, that never gets old," you wheeze. You go to lean against the footboard of the bed but stop, retracting your hand after a moment. Turning to Hoseok, you grin cheerfully. "Hey, I'm YN."

"Am I dreaming?" Hoseok mutters, his brown eyes wide. His heart pounds in his chest, and his elbow hurts where he fell and smacked it against the polished wooden floor. Is he seriously talking to a ghost? This can't be real—he's still at his desk, asleep and dreaming this all, on top of his lecture notes.

"No. You're completely awake and talking to a ghost." You quirk a smile and hide your laughter at the terrified expression of the poor guy.

Well then. Hoseok lets out another shrill scream, feeling faint.

You wince and recoil away from him. "Hey, hey, listen. I'm not trying to hurt you. I can't even touch you, let alone kill you. Unless I really try."

"Wh-who. How?" Hoseok croaks. His stomach turns and he feels like passing out isn't impossible.

"I'm LN YN, like I said. My spirit, or soul or whatever you want to call it, is attached permanently to this place and you can't get rid of me." You move like you're going to sit in a chair—except there is no chair. "I don't know how, but for some reason, once someone starts living here they can see and talk to me. Maybe it's some sort of curse."

You inspect your semi-transparent hands, turning them over palm up, and it's only now Hoseok notices you're wearing clothes that fit the aesthetic of what some people might call 'grunge'.

You appear centimetres from his face in a split second and Hoseok shrieks. He doesn't hear what you say next, his body slumping backwards.

The next morning he stirs, back in his bed and with a headache. He blinks at the ceiling, following the faint cracks along the edges with his eyes, and wonders if it had been all a dream.

Hoseok sits up slowly and pulls the sheets back. There are light bruises on his leg, and he doesn't need to check his arm to know there's at least one there. His stomach twists—it wasn't just his Red Bull-fuelled imagination.

"Oh, you're awake," says a voice right behind him.

Startling so violently he falls right off his bed, Hoseok screams again and clutches his chest. He's done that a lot in the last few hours. "Don't scare me like that!" He pauses to catch his breath. "So... you weren't just a weird dream."

You frown, halfway through the wall, and step completely into his bedroom. "I thought you would realise that after last night."

"Do you normally introduce yourself like that?"