The Send-off

The Send-off

~~~
A/N: For added reading pleasure, listen to "At Last" by Etta James.
~~~~

His stride was slow and deliberate. His main objective was right in front of him: Me.

With trembling legs, I stood, anchored my feet on the ground and waited for it to happen.

From a distance, I could hear the band play Etta James' "At Last".

When he reached me, I breathed him in, much as I did when we were dancing. My memories of his scent had been lacking. Levi smelled more delicious, more achingly appealing, more masculine, sweeter yet sexier.

I dared not look him in the eyes as he pressed his whole body against my own. Shivers ran down my spine and heat flowed throughout my veins. I kept my hands fisted at my sides as my entire body hummed.

Levi's hands cupped the back of my head, and he threaded his fingers through my hair, making my head tilt back, and my lips part. A shaky exhale escaped.

"Veronica." His voice was as soft as the wind, a whispered sigh against my lips, pleading.

I gazed into his azure eyes, and with the rays of the moonlight that slipped through the small spaces of the rose arch, I could see his pupils dilate, and I let myself get lost in them.

Levi whispered my name once more before his lips covered mine.

It was a kiss that claimed. An all-consuming, primal connection. A passionate caress. A touch full of promises.

My skin thrilled. My heart skipped a beat. Desire flooded my mind.

I felt light-headed, dizzy from his spell, dependent only on the breaths that we both shared. My hands reached for him of their own accord, tugging at everything that would deepen our connection-- the collar of his shirt, the nape of his neck, the hair that curled around his ears.

I wanted more. I needed more. It was as though without him, life would cease to continue.

Levi trapped my bottom lip between his lips and his teeth nibbled lightly at it, causing a jolt of electricity down to my core, before he let go.

Our labored breathing was in tune with the hammering of both our hearts.

I kept grasping at his shirt, afraid that if I didn't, my legs would fail me and I would fall flat on the ground.

My eyes were still closed as he nuzzled my nose with his, as he spoke against my lips, "You have no idea how much I've been aching to do that. My sweet Veronica, I have thought of you, and only you for so long."

I let out a choked sob. How could he say that knowing that our time together would soon end? This little piece of heaven he had brought me into would soon cease to exist.

My head shook. "But you're leaving." I was afraid to open my eyes, afraid that I would see the truth in his.

Levi sighed, and once again, he captured my bottom lip between his. This time his lips were softer, a simple caress against mine.

"I thought I was."

My eyes popped open, and I found him searching mine. "What do you mean? Last night, I heard Tristan say..."

"I know what you heard." He touched my cheek with the back of a hand. Instinctively, I leaned against it. "And up until yesterday, my decision to leave was final. Then I saw you..."

A pained look replaced his emotions. "And you said goodbye."

I moved my hands down to his chest, feeling the errant thumping underneath, echoing my own.