The Seven-tier Cake

The Seven-tier Cake

~~~~~~

A/N: This is my favorite chapter because I'm wicked ;) Enjoy!

~~~~~~

After that meeting with Jake and Sandrine, and because I had realized that I would eventually see Levi again, I was in a panicked state when I came home. I turned on the hallway lamp, sat on the sofa and listened. Quiet. Nothing but quiet.

This was my life.

Chances were slim that Levi and I would patch things up. I was hoping in the days I had left before the big day, I would find courage to face him again. Even possibly get over him. I would be decent and polite when I saw him, and hopefully that wouldn't be until the wedding. I wasn't so sure how he would react.

"I will get over him," I told the still room. There wasn't any protest other than the one in my head. I didn't like the sound of it.

Seconds later, I heard another sound. A buzzing. Pushing with both hands on the sofa, I stood to retrieve the phone vibrating in my purse. Looking at the caller ID, I answered with hesitation, "You've reached Veronica."

"I have, haven't I?" Diego's chuckle was even deeper than his voice, and much sexier. "I know I asked you to give me a call, but I don't want to risk not getting a chance."

There was a pause on the other end. I gripped my phone tightly, eager to hear more. "Would you have dinner with me on Friday? Tomorrow?" he asked.

I couldn't imagine any hot-blooded woman turning this man down. But I had baggage. Baggage that shouldn't really belong to me.

"Veronica, are you still there?"

"Yes, I am! Sorry. This is quite a surprise." And since I didn't really have any reason not to, I said, "I would love to have dinner with you, but I can't tomorrow. I'm available next Tuesday. I've git time off work. It's my mom's birthday and she and my sister are coming in to the city for it."

"Don't you want to have dinner with them?"

I shook my head, not registering that Diego couldn't see me. "They arrive the night before, Monday night, then leave early Tuesday afternoon." It was tradition, and handling visits from my mother had always gone well, provided they were kept short and sweet.

"Wonderful, then. I shall pick you up at eight." By the way Diego answered, I sensed his smile. He was absolutely adorable.

"How about seven? I'm off all day."

Diego chuckled over the phone, and my stomach clenched. Did this man know his effect on women? "I'll pick you up at seven. Text me your address. I will see you Tuesday. Sweet dreams, Nica."

I had a feeling I would have more than sweet dreams. "You too, Diego." I ended the call and hugged the phone to my chest.

I was nervous, not for this date with a delectable gentleman, but for what it could mean for my other non-relationship.

*****

Due to the dramas and delays with the wedding plans, I had a lot of catching up to do, and the 'new' me simply did not take crap from anybody, including the couple.

Normally, an appointment with the baker would have taken place at least six months before the wedding day, especially if such baker was the cream of the crop. We had a week to finalize details, including the cake.

Lucky for Jake and Sandrine-- who wanted only the best --I was connected to the best. Eddi was such man. He was the renaissance man of cakes and pastries, and he did wedding cakes like no other.