Part three

It wasn't easy to stand there and hear everything that Veronica told her sister. I was flanked by Veronica's mother and Sherri, who'd come into the theatre a few minutes ago to let me know that everything she had to do was done. I hadn't mean to listen in. I'd walked out of the theatre with Mrs Stewart and Sherri and overheard the conversation.

When the powder room door opened, the sisters' shocked looks mirrored mine. My gaze immediately met Veronica's.

She thought I was too rich? And because of that, she thought it was unfair for me for the two of us to be together. Was she going to end things because of this?

After another beat, Veronica's eyes went to her mother. "Mom, I..."

Lily-Anne Stewart lifted her hand to stop her daughter. "Whatever you want to say to me is not nearly as important as what you should say to this young man." Her hand waved my way. "We'll head back to the room. Maggie, come."

The two sisters shared a look before Maggie followed her mother back to where June had stayed.

"I better head out. Bye, Levi." I turned to Sherri and simply nodded. "I'll walk myself out." Then, she stretched a hand to Veronica. "It's great to meet you."

Once we were alone, the heaviness of what I had heard weighed down on me. I loved this woman, wholeheartedly. She had to have known this.

"We can talk in the library." I didn't wait to make sure that she heard me. Her footsteps echoed as she followed me down the hallway and into the large room.

It housed all of my books, a collection of old and new, fiction and nonfiction. Warm, quiet, serene. I had asked my designer to make it into a smaller version of the library in the manor in France. It was the only non-modern room in the penthouse, with the wood panels, the heavy velvet curtains, the two brocade chaise and the single desk in the middle, which I had shipped from my grand mother's home, and the 1840's spiral staircase that led to the loft. It functioned mainly as my escape from the world.

The silence deafened me. I gripped the edge of the desk, my fingers and knuckles turning white. I nearly had lost Veronica after Paris. I couldn't possibly let her go now after what I knew, what I was sure, could be the best thing that had happened in my life. I hadn't known happiness like how she'd made me feel excited. At least, never in my life. Not before her.

I felt her proximity, like my own shadow connected to me, present even if I didn't look. The shaky deep breath she took in somehow let me know. I had to take this chance. I had to seal my fate with her.

After releasing the death grip I had on the desk, I straightened and turned to Veronica. Her eyes were lowered, and I waited until she gazed up at me. I didn't know how long we stood there, taking each other in, not willing to breathe or move or say anything. I wanted her to see what she needed to see. Me. Just me.

As soon as I saw her lips trembled, I knew she understood. I took one long stride to get to her, swallowing her exhale as I pressed my lips on hers. I gave everything I had into that kiss. My heart. My soul.

"How much did you hear?" she asked against my chest once we had released each other from that fate-sealing kiss.

"Enough."

Veronica shook her head, and I let her sink deeper into my arms. I led her to one of the chaise and sat with her.

"Veronica, you must know that none of these things matter to me if I can't be with you." I took her chin under my finger to have her face me, to see the truth in my eyes. "Believe me when I say that all these could easily disappear with a snap of a finger. I won't bother with the details right now, because what I have in my hands is what I consider relevant."