The Men in Tuxedos

The Men in Tuxedos

Part une

I used to believe in kismet. But it seemed the Universe was only playing a cruel practical joke on me. At anytime, Ashton Kutcher (the early years with Demi version) would pop out from somewhere and would tell me that I was being punked, because something was all too familiar with that morning when I woke up-the wide open curtains made way for the bright sun to shine, the pounding headache, and the hand over my body. Seriously, when would I ever learn?

Of course, the only difference was that I was in a hotel room in Paris and not in my bedroom. But I woke up with the same naked man. This time around, he was facing me, so there was no doubt it was indeed him and not some other random stranger. Did I mention he was naked again?

"What the hell, Levi?" I yanked at the sheets ineffectively.

He didn't move, just slowly opened his eyes into slits, then closed them again. "Don't tell me... you don't remember what happened again. Tell me, Veronica, do you make a habit of getting into bed with a man and not remembering him or what you did the night before?"

I smacked him hard with a pillow. He grunted but still kept himself almost glued to me.

"Don't be an ass, Levi. How did you get in here? I left the restaurant by myself." I was pretty sure I did. Up until then, everything was clear.

"You called me sometime around one o' clock." He held onto the pillow that I had hit him with and placed it under his head. His sleepy eyes fluttered open. "If you don't believe me, check your phone."

My phone... where was my phone? I looked around but couldn't see it. What I did see were two opened bottles of champagne on a sideboard. So much for not getting drunk again. I would get up to look for my phone, but there wasn't anything I could wear within my grasp, and I didn't want Levi to see me naked, again.

Levi punched the pillow he took from me, tried it again, then sent it flying across the room. He then snuggled up to me once more, wrapping me in his cocoon. I could feel him wriggle under the sheets. The warmth of his body singed my skin. And it made me all too aware of something else hot, hard, and smooth, pressed against my hips.

"That better not be what I think it is." My voice was laced with warning.

"Relax, it's not like you haven't seen it before." He snuggled even closer, causing a bit of friction under the sheets. Even without looking his way, I could sense a smirk on his face.

I tried to squirm away but he wouldn't let me. "Levi, please. At least point it somewhere else." That earned me a hearty laugh.

"You're so funny," he said, with way too much affection. "Veronica," He peered through his lashes. "Calm down. I won't do anything you don't want to do... but I beg of you, can we please go back to sleep? We probably still have at least a couple of hours before the tux fitting."

It was difficult to argue with those sleepy, sexy bedroom eyes, but I had to resist. He kept an arm locked around me, burrowing his nose into the curve of my neck. I tried not to get lost in a combination of his heady scent, the soothing flutter of his breath on my neck in sync with my own pulse, and the tickle his beard was causing.

"Levi, I have to know what happened. Please." I pushed through my muddled thoughts.

He muttered something inaudible, then said clearly, "I came here because you asked me to. You said you wanted to talk."

"Talk about what?"

"I don't know. We never got to talking. We drank champagne. We made out then fell asleep." The rumble in his voice reverberated in my ear.