The Best Man

The Best Man

There were only a handful of people who I couldn't stand since the very second I met them. I was friends to many, and friendly to all, but when I met Levi, my skin crawled.

I recalled seeing him a few times before, during the galas and charity balls and whatever posh events, always with model du jour slung in his arms. I made darn sure we never crossed paths. So when Jake introduced him to me as his best friend, I almost lost my lunch.

Sure, Levi was wickedly handsome, rich and a quasi-celebrity, but he was as slithery and slimy as the old geezers who would grope and proposition me. Whenever Jake and I attended or met at an event, I steered clear of Levi, even if it meant letting go of Jake's arm. The several times I couldn't quite escape, Levi's actions and words left me seething, and sometimes wishing that I had Chase's guts and mouth to parry with.

He would ogle every woman who passed us even when he was with someone. Most of his dates couldn't offer a word of intelligence during conversations, most of them said "like" at least five times in one drawn out sentence. Chase and I had a few laughs about them afterwards, not to be mean, but we just couldn't help it.

"Levi's going to be here soon." Jake told me as I sat on a chair.

We agreed to meet at a café near my office. I just couldn't let myself be alone in a private area with Jake, not when I was planning his wedding and not after meeting Sandrine. I stood up a second after his announcement. His hand pressed onto mine. Oh, how I missed his touch.

"Wait, Nica. I know you can't stand him but he's still my best friend and..."

Uh-oh...

"And my best man. With Sandrine away for most of the planning, I do need him to be here with me, with us." Jake pleaded. His ocean blue eyes darted into mine. "He promised to behave." This was his final plea.

I thought about it for a moment but to be honest, I was still enjoying his touch and eyes on me. I sat back down. Seriousness plastered on my face, which didn't mean much. Picture a chihuahua trying to act like a pitbull.

"Fine, but one smart butt comment from him..." I opted for pouty instead.

"He won't. I promise. And if he does, I'll remove him away from you. I'll even kick him out of the bridal party if he even tries to say or do anything stupid around you." Jake's hand stayed on, enveloping mine with warmth.

"Who's being stupid?" A baritone voice asked from behind me. Jake's hand flew away, making my hand feel cold and bereft.

Levi pulled a chair between Jake and me, angling it towards my direction, legs spread wide. I moved my legs to avoid any contact with his. "Veronica..." His grin was wide and full of malice, at least I felt it was.

I gnashed my teeth together, and raising an eyebrow at him, I simply said, "Levi." Then puckered my lips like I had tasted something sour.

"Great, so we're all here, let's get some coffee and snacks." Jake happily suggested, motioning for a young server nearby. The kid with dreads stood before us, ready with a pad and pen. "An espresso for me and pain au chocolat."

"Make that two." Levi interjected, raising the index and middle fingers of his left hand.

"And a chai nonfat latte and cranberry scone please, for the lady." Jake continued, smiling at me. I was touched knowing he remembered my usual orders. The kid nodded then left.

"What? You don't drink coffee? It's not good enough for you?" Levi asked me. He was languidly seated with an arm hanging off the back of the chair like he was Mr. Oh So Cool.