4624 word so far...

The sun had barely risen above the horizon when the banging on the front door woke me up. I grumbled as I got up, indicating for Kassandra to stay in bed. I didn’t bother putting on a top and answered the door with only a pair of pajama bottoms. I opened the door slowly, keeping my foot behind it in order to block it in case the person was an intruder.

A man stood there, a wide grin on his face. Although he was very much normal, for a moment I thought I saw shadows take over his face and turn it into a skeletal sight. My mind was playing tricks on me, it wasn’t quite awake yet. “Yes?”

“Mr. Kaden?” he asked and I confirmed that it was I. “Ah, finally we meet. You know there are many men named Kaden in this world.”

I wasn’t quite sure where he was going, but he went silent as if awaiting my reply. “No first name needed to confirm you’ve got the right one?” I asked in return.

“Oh no, I don’t. You see, I come bearing a contract. I am here to remind you of the conditions and of the consequences should you refuse to obey.” He took a step forward but I didn’t open the door any wider. “May I come in so we can discuss?”

“No. My family is still asleep.” I squinted my eyes at this man who looked more and more suspicious. “I don’t even know who you are or what you are talking about.”

The man looked over his shoulder at the slowly rising sun, the shadows made his face turn skeletal once again and I could swear I saw some worried features appear between the shifting of the shadows. “My name is Cassadrial and I am a bound servant. I come in the name of my master. As for the contract, it was signed during your first (voyage-war affair). May I come in now?” he looked at me as he spoke, but his final question made him turn his head to look at the horizon once more.

“Expecting something?” I asked, looking over to the general area he was watching. I leaned against the doorframe, keep the door only slightly opened and blocked by my hand and foot.

“Mr. Kaden, I can explain everything if only you let me in.” his attention was focused back on me, determined. I kept quiet, not budging from my position as I continued to analyze this man. Something was off. Something was bugging me about him.

We stared at each other for a few moments of silence and finally the first ray of sunlight made its way over the horizon and through the trees to reach us. “Mr. Kaden. Let me in.” he stated, starting to sound more commanding.

“What if I refuse?” I demanded, intentionally defying him.

I squinted against the bright ray of sun, I could see smoke starting to lift off from the man but it could be my imagination. Like the skeletal face.

“Then, I will be taking my leave. But I will return and we will review this contract.” he growled, his earlier attempt at trying to appear friendly completely gone.

He turned away and sprinted off at a speed no man could reach. Inside the blink of an eye, he had gained the tree line and had disappeared amognst the shadows of the trees. I stared at where he had been for another moment before I closed the door and rejoined my wife in bed. She was wide awake when I came in, “What was that?” she asked, worry clear in her voice.