untitled story so far

Today I am nineteen.

Today I am getting married.

I dont know who my husband is. All i know is his name; Quinn (( Qeno-Kailun )) and that i am to meet him for the first time in fifteen minutes... At the alter... On the other side of this door...

My father's smile is radiant as he hooks his right arm to my left. His left hand slips under my veil to cup my cheek and he leans down to press a light kiss to the top of my head. "Your mother would be proud, Kassandra." I smiled tenderly at him, trying to appease the worry on his face.

"It's okay, Father. I know this is for the best." I whispered, noticing a small vibrato in my voice from the tears that were gathering around my eyes.

I took a deep breath and turned to face the doors, my father proceeded to do the same. "He's a good man." He just as the orchestra began the tune that announced the begining of the ceremony.

The doors started to open towards the outside, when the alter came into view, my father and I began walking down the aisle.

My eyes were fixed on the alter. I refused to look at the man yet. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I felt like I would turn and run if I did. The orchestra accompanied our walk with their tune, the audiences' murmurs of the bride and groom were the lyrics to the song of my marriage. The song of my ownership being signed.

We finally reached a distance i deemed far enough from the doors to allow myself to look at Quinn. His position caught my attention and only then did I notice that most of the guests were Military men, some acompanied by their wives and children. Every man wore the same outfit: black and dark grey cammo-patterned tailcoat on top of a dark grey chemise and black (cargo/big bill) pants, tucked into mid-calf, black leather boots with three large leather straps securing the tight, black lacework that held the boot securely closed. The only difference in Quinn's outfit was the very noticeable white neck-tie.

He was looking at me but I knew that he wouldn't see my features through the veil just yet. Still, the shiver that ran through my body told me that life with this man would be choas. A smile spreads on my face moments before we reach the first step, one he notices and returns.

I look to my father as he gently gives my hand to Quinn. Their eyes are locked in a silent agreement. Both were men of war, where Quinn was still in his first decade od service, my father was in list last. It felt as if time stood still. The orchestra stopped playing and the audience went silent, only the wails of a child echoed throughout the room.

"Quinn Kaden..." I whispered, testing his full name on my lips for the hundreth time.

His attention returned to me, "Kassandra Kaden." He whispered back and he squeezed my hand. His use of his last name made me smile. Beside us the priest cleared his throat and the ceremony began.

-----

"When I married you, the only thing I knew was that your father would never be ablr to marry you off." He stood behind me, his hands on my shoulders.

He had stood there in silence as i undid and brushed my hair in front of my dresser mirror. He had simply watched me. Until now.