Problematic

"Miss Byrnes, you're awake," the Headmistress said stepping into my field of vision which was still slightly blurred with drug-induced sleep.

"Yes, for a while now," I muttered rubbing my eyes. I blinked as my vision cleared and looked up at her. She was tall and well built. Strong yet feminine. She had short, dark brown hair bound in a small, tight bun at the back of her neck. Her eyes were a deep chocolatey brown and framed by long dark lashes. Her eyebrows stern and straight. Her nose was crooked like it had been broken several times without healing properly and her mouth, which seemed a little too wide for her face, was twitching as if suppressing a smirk.

"Who the hell are you and where the hell am I?" I asked my gaze moving to Clay and Jason. I leaped up and stumbled nearly falling over again. I pointed viciously at Clay and snapped, "What did you do to Phoebe?! I saw that green light! What did you—"

"Relax, Lori. I just knocked her out. She'll have already come to by now," he replied, and I glared at him with narrowed eyes.

"Why I oughta—" Suddenly I gasped and searched my pockets for my phone. My pockets were empty. I looked frantically at the three people in the room and asked, "How long have I been gone?"

The Headmistress glanced down at her watch and said, "Nearly eight hours." I blanched and my heart jumped into my throat. Keegan would be back at my house by now. Could Phoebe let him in? How did that work? What if he got her out of the house? What if he hurt her? What if he found out about Zane?!

I glanced around and, upon spotting an exit, rushed towards it. Just as I was reaching for the handle, a body appeared before me, warm rough hands closing around my wrists. I looked up and saw Jason's tanned face.

"What's the rush, princess?" he asked with a smirk and I scowled, struggling against his vicelike grip. He laughed and I grit my teeth lifting my leg to knee him in the groin. Before I could connect, I felt him shift and suddenly I was on the floor, my face pressed into the carpet, my arms twisted painfully behind my back.

"It was real embarrassing getting my ass kicked by your leech of a boyfriend, so I've been logging in my training hours. I won't be beaten by a newb like you," he hissed, his lips at my ear.

"Let her up, Mr. Cooke, or I'll give you a demerit," the Headmistress commanded, and Jason scoffed straightening up and releasing his grip on my wrists. I pushed myself up off the floor and massaged my arms glaring hostilely at Jason who just rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

"I need to leave right now. You don't understand," I said feeling my heart pound anxiously in my chest. The Headmistress stepped forward and said, "I understand that you have a rabid vampire chained up in your basement—"

"And you've left my best friend alone with him. Not to mention the totally not-chained-up vampire that's been hanging around my house for the past week. By kidnapping me you have put her life in danger!" I exclaimed cutting her off.

She sighed and muttered, "'Kidnapping'? What a harsh word." My eyes narrowed and I snapped, "Harsh, sure, but untrue?" I shook my head and mumbled, "I don't have time for this." I started back towards the door and Jason glanced at the Headmistress. She shook her head and he sighed leaning back against the wall.

"Miss Byrnes, please wait. We have surveillance on your house. We've had it for a while. Your friend is fine," she said, and I scowled asking, "You mean Colton and Malick? I could wipe the floor with them. They're no match for Keegan."

She smiled and said, "Right. O'Dwyer. You keep very dangerous company." I nodded grinning sardonically and saying, "Yeah, I do. Which is why I need to get home."

"We have experienced, adult Hunters in the field making sure nothing happens to your friend or any of the other residents in your neighborhood so calm down and listen. Please," she said gesturing at the couch I had been laying on. I hesitated, wondering how long this surveillance had been going on. Did she know about the two girls Zane killed? If so, why hadn't she done anything about it? I sighed and sat down. She nodded and sat down next to me resting her hands in her lap.

"I am Headmistress Mills and you are in Eugene, Oregon at a school that caters specifically to Hunter children teaching them the skills they need to protect themselves and others from the forces of darkness," she said and I nodded slowly. I remembered several people mentioning something about an academy.

"Alright, that's great. Now can I go?" I asked and I heard Jason sigh loudly. My jaw clenched. Headmistress Mills smiled patiently and said, "You misunderstand me. We'd like you to enroll. It's unusual for a child over thirteen to join the Academy, but I believe it is necessary. Hunters who haven't been properly educated can be...problematic." I didn't like the way she said the word. "And no offense, but you are on a dangerous path," she continued, "fraternizing with vampires."

"Fraternizing with vampires? You mean becoming romantically involved with the guy who saved my life?" I inquired sarcastically. I refused to be respectful. These people kidnapped me. They knocked out my best friend. They tried to kill my boyfriend!

"We all know it is more complicated than that," the Headmistress said, and I sighed rubbing my face.

"Okay, well I already know a lot about vampires and stuff, so I don't really think I need to go to this school. Plus, I have high school and everything in September so..." I trailed off and made to stand up, but a hand clamped down on my shoulder and I was forced down.

I looked up expecting to see Jason, but instead, I saw Clay with an apologetic expression on his face. Headmistress Mills looked at me and said, "We teach core curriculum as well as Hunter specific courses, so you won't need to attend high school."

"Okay, but Eugene is like six hours away from my house."

"You'll live on campus," she said, and my eyes widened in surprise. I shook my head and replied, "I can't do that. My friend lives with me right now and you know, with the vampires and all, I can't just abandon my house."

"Does your friend not have parents?" she inquired, and I nodded saying, "Sure, but—"

"And does your...vampire not have a home of his own?"

"Yes, but—"

"And isn't your home currently in your maternal grandmother's name?"

"I'm not going to your stupid school!" I shouted, "And how do you know that?"

"Hey! You can't talk to her like that, princess. You need to learn some respect," Jason snapped, and I leaped up from the couch saying, "I don't need to learn anything and stop calling me 'princess'!"

He leaned toward me with a leer and asked, "Or what, princess?" I clenched my fists and growled, "I keep dangerous company, remember?" His leer turned into a smirk and he said, "Please, call your dogs. I'd love a rematch." I glared into his mud-brown eyes and saw my angry face reflected back, tainted by his aggression and arrogance.

"It really doesn't matter. I'vealready had you withdrawn from your local high school and enrolled here. Sinceyou are already coming into your powers, you will be training with the othersixteen and seventeen-year-olds. However, your non-combat courses willregrettably be with the younger students. Depending on your performance, we maydecide to fast track you," she said and my jaw dropped.