Explore

"Zane?"

A door at the end of the landing opened and he poked his head out. He stuck his tongue out and blew a raspberry at me before ducking back in. I tilted my head to one side and smiled curiously before starting after him. I opened the door and found a nicely furnished bedroom. Queen bed, television, desk and chair, loveseat. It was ridiculously plain compared to the one Keegan had put me in but nice all the same. I looked around and didn't see Zane. There were two doors on the right-hand wall. I opened one and saw a small bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet. I shut the bathroom door and went to check the next one. I opened it up and—

"Whoa," I said with wide eyes. It was a large room. Old fashioned arcade games on one wall, a row of computers on the other. Two large flat-screen televisions hooked up to several top of the line gaming systems. Pool table, ping-pong table and foosball. I looked around for several seconds and then approached Area 51: Site 4; the game I used to play with my dad every weekend at the arcade. Zane suddenly leapt out from behind the game and shouted, "Boo!" I stumbled backwards and nearly toppled over. He grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me back upright with a bright smile on his face.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked as he let go of my wrist. He tilted his head to one side and replied, "Yeah, why?"

"Well you were getting kind of weepy not two minutes ago and I'm not used to seeing you so," I gestured at him and finished, "Chipper." He rocked back on his heels and glanced over at the computers.

"I've decided not to dwell on things I can't fix." He looked at me and added, "Like you said." I nodded and he smiled. "As for the chipperness..." He shrugged and said, "I might as well ride the wave while I can." I nodded once more. It was the blood that had put him into such a good mood. Of course. He looked at me and added, "There's another reason why I'm happy.

"Yeah?" I mumbled glancing around at the games. I suddenly felt his fingers beneath my chin and he tilted my face up towards his.

"I can do this." He leaned in and his lips met mine. We kissed for several seconds before he pulled away and rested his forehead against mine. "Without wanting to rip your throat out." He smirked and added, "For the next hour at least." I reached up and touched his chest, feeling the subtle warmth of his skin beneath the thin fabric.

"A whole hour?" I asked looking up at him and attempting to flutter my eyelashes seductively. His mouth stretched into a broad grin and his arms snaked around my lower back drawing me so close that my front pressed tightly against his. He kissed me. His lips were soft and warm. He bit down gently on my bottom lip and I opened my mouth slightly. I felt his tongue against mine, it tasted like blood, but I was growing used to it.

His left hand trailed up my spine, soft through the thin clingy fabric of my borrowed dress. His palm caressed the right side of my face. I had one hand on his back, my fingers playing across the sliver of skin visible between the waist of his shorts and the hem of his shirt. I suddenly remembered that he was still wearing my clothes. I laughed against his mouth nearly choking on my own spit.

He threw his head back and laughed joyfully. His laugh was completely different from Anton's. It was musical, full of love. He picked me up and swung me in a wide arc before flopping down on one of the cushy gaming chairs in front of the giant televisions. I landed on top of him with a surprised expression on my face. He curled his hand around the back of my neck and drew me in for another passionate kiss.

My body felt like it was on fire. We had never been this close. We had never been able to. I reached down and slipped my hands beneath his shirt feeling his ab muscles tense as he leaned into my hands. I moaned softly. God, I wanted to lick his abs. His mouth moved to my ear and he whispered, "So, do it." Ooh. I grabbed the hem of his shirt and we parted just long enough for me to pull it off over his head.

I kissed his neck, his collarbone, his chest. Breathing the scent of his skin. It was a dark smell, deep and sultry yet inviting. I felt his hands on the sides of my thighs, the hem of my dress riding up my legs. His fingertips were cool against my burning skin. My senses were alight. I could hear everything, smell everything, feel everything.

My mouth was on his chest, placing tender kisses across his skin. I heard him sigh, a warm, lusty sigh. I was reminded jarringly of Anton. Of the first time we met. Of the girl at the roller rink, the one he almost killed right in front of me. My lips hesitated and I looked up at him. I had to check. I had to look into his eyes. Before I could, he leaned in and his mouth was on mine. His hands were under my dress. I could feel his fingers through the pink silk panties I had found in the dresser of the room Keegan put me in last night.

His palms pressed against my lower back, a gentle but unyielding force. His lips moved to the corner of my mouth, then to my ear and he whispered, "I love you, Lorelei." I felt tears burning in my eyes. My right hand came up to caress the side of his face and I touched my cheek to his.

"I love you too, Zane," I said holding his face against mine. His teeth brushed my earlobe and his fingers slipped further up my dress unhooking the clasp of my bra. I wavered, my mind going blank. What we were doing suddenly felt ten times more real than it had a second ago. He pulled away slightly and one of his hands touched my chin turning my gaze to meet his.

"Do you want to do this?" he asked tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. I stared into his face, his dark grey eyes bright with clarity, a faint crease between his brows, a light flush across his beautiful cheekbones. I blinked at him. I hadn't really thought about it. I had never had a boyfriend before and until now losing my virginity was the farthest thing from my mind.

"I—"

The door opened and Keegan said, "Alright, Lorelei, I think I've given you enough ti—" I sprung off of Zane and whirled around hastily yanking my dress back down to cover my legs. Keegan was staring at us in complete shock his hand still on the doorknob. There was a long moment of awkward silence before Keegan looked down at the floor and said, "I think it's time I took you home. You need to pack a bag and contact Alberich." His voice was flat.

"Keegan," Zane said standing up. There was a curious edge of pain in his voice. There was a loud crack and a heavy thunk. Keegan had ripped the knob off the door, and it landed solidly on the short, beige carpet. He turned without a word and started back downstairs.