10

Emmaline

I'd just finished getting dressed when I heard a loud knock. Picking up my phone to check the time, I wondered who could be at the door. If it was the food, it was early. My small birthday party wasn't set to start until 7:00, and the two people I expected to come prior to that were expected around 6:30, which was half an hour away. At least I was decent and not still wrapped in my towel doing my hair and make-up.

I opened the door and saw my mom and dad standing there with flowers, over a dozen balloons, and a large shopping bag.

"Surprise!" they shouted.

"Oh my god! You told me you couldn't make it!" I said as tears started welling up in my eyes.

My father was having knee surgery today, or at least I thought he was. He was a serious runner and had fallen last month while jogging on a wooded trail. He now had a piece of cartilage floating under his knee cap that had to be removed.

"We honestly didn't think we could until yesterday when your father's doctor called to postpone his surgery because he had a family emergency," my mom explained. "We knew that was a sign that we needed to come celebrate with you."

"Do you have enough food for two additional guests or should we go buy some things to add?" my father asked.

"I've probably got too much food, to be honest. I ordered it from Marcheleo's catering department, and it should arrive in about half an hour."

Marcheleo's was a gourmet marketplace that was famous for their prepared foods. Since I wasn't much of a cook, I often purchased food items that required nothing more than reheating, which I was pretty good at. Usually.

For tonight, I'd picked out a wide selection of hot and cold appetizers that I was going to put out on my peninsula counter and on my new dining room table. The menu consisted of mini chicken samosas, beef sliders on brioche rolls, caprese salad skewers, veggie spring rolls, and risotto balls. I'd also ordered small cheese, fruit, and veggie platters. The drinks would be in the kitchen near the sink. I'd gone simple with those; just beer, wine, and soda

"Wow, sweetie! You look stunning," my dad said once he noticed that I was dressed up.

I did a quick twirl to show off my form-fitting black dress which I'd paired with bright red heels. Thank god for Spanx which kept my tummy somewhat flat.

My parents then walked into my living area and looked around at the recent additions to the decor.

"Your place looks fabulous!" my mom said. "Can I put the flowers on the table?"

"That would be perfect. Maybe you could tie the balloons to the backs of the dining room chairs, Dad."

My parents got to work as they explained to me that they'd booked a hotel for the night since they didn't want to put me out on such short notice.

Another knock at the door interrupted us. When I opened it, I found Shawn and Jax. My friend had graciously offered to watch the baby for a couple hours so I could clean the condo and take a shower in peace.

He was wearing black slacks with a light bluish gray button down shirt, and he looked especially good tonight. As he walked past me, I caught a whiff of his cologne. I'd grown very fond of the scent, much to my chagrin.

"Is that our grandson?" my mom squealed as she took Jax from Shawn's arms. "It was so sweet of you to watch him. How have you been Shawn?" she asked after giving the baby kisses.

"I'm great, Denise. It's good to see you again, but I thought you two weren't coming."

"My knee surgery got pushed back a week," my dad said as he walked up to him and gave him a handshake.