twenty-four

Asher patting my shoulder woke me up the next morning, and I pulled a face at how bright the room was.

"Didn't you say waking others up was rude?" I groaned, not sure if he could even understand my mumbling.

"Conan's here."

I sat up in an instance, and there was Conan, standing outside the glass wall and waving at me. I briefly glanced under the covers before gripping Asher's shoulder.

"My pants."

He turned around with a groan, reaching for them without getting out of bed, and tossed them at me. I quickly put them on before jumping out of bed and crossing the room.

Asher stayed back, watching me from the warmth and safety of my bed as I pulled the glass door open.

"Morning," Conan greeted, already slipping into the room.

"Hey, how are-"

Before I could even finish my question Conan had already pulled me into a tight hug, and I stiffened at how unexpected it was.

"Woah. Group hug?" I asked hesitantly, glancing at Asher who just rolled his eyes.

"It's finally okay, Kiri," Conan grinned as he let go of me. "They let me live with my aunt, about an hour drive from here. I don't have to go to any dumb academy, and my aunt can help me get a job and figure all that out."

"Woah," I repeated. "But that's great. That's perfect!"

"I know!" Conan's grin was huge and contagious. "I just wanted to tell you before I leave. She picks me up after lunch."

"So early?"

"Yeah, it fits into her schedule. She has two little kids, I think she takes them with her later."

I beamed him a grin. "Hey, kids. That'll teach you some responsibility."

"I know," was all he said before pulling me into another hug. "Sorry, I'm just, I thought I had to live on the streets. Run away or some shit."

"I'm glad you won't," I said, hugging him back with the same excitement, neither of us minding my lack of a shirt and Asher's glare.

These news were unexpected, but so incredibly good. All I had wanted was for Conan to be happy, and it seemed that he could finally be.

"Wait, one last thing," I said as we let go of each other again. I glanced at Asher. "You, apologize."

He raised a brow and hugged the covers tighter. "Yeah, what about no."

"Come on, don't be a dick. You probably won't see Conan ever again," I said, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

Conan smiled. "It's alright, kid."

"No it's not. Ash, grow up."

That caused Asher to narrow his eyes at me. "Don't tell me to grow up."

"Don't tell me to grow up," I mimicked. "Well, don't pick fights with others. Say you're sorry, and we can all move on already."

The boy sighed before finally getting out of my bed. He was only wearing his sweatpants, and I tried to fight the blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Sorry for punching you, I guess," Asher said, holding his hand out to Conan.

Conan shrugged, taking it. "It's alright. Sorry for my parents, I didn't want them to cause a scene."

"You're only sorry for that?" Asher replied, raising a brow.

I rolled my eyes and shoved him back to the bed. "Dude, it's too early to be this negative. Just be happy for once."