thirteen

We were sitting in Gill's backyard later that day, listening to Lizzo blaring out of Gill's speakers and sipping on the drinks she had made. The others weren't here, Sam had to help her aunt out with something and Tyler was on a family trip.

I glanced at Asher from the corner of my eye, wondering why exactly he wanted me to come here with him. Gill on the other hand seemed to be as careless and free of worries as always, sprawled out on her sun lounger and appearing not to have a single care in the world.

I didn't exactly feel good as hell, but I didn't feel too bad either. So far, this little meet up hadn't been so bad. We had talked, we had laughed, and even though Asher and I hadn't exactly been the most excited about the situation, Gill had managed to pass the awkward gaps in between conversations.

Speaking frankly, without Gill, all this would have gone very differently.

"So I saw the coach yesterday," she said, a wide grin spreading on her face. "He was with his little son, Lio. Honestly, I don't know how such a scary man can produce such an angel."

"Produce," Asher repeated, his gaze fixed on his drink. Gill rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, Ash, produce. I'm pretty sure Redmille's a beast, if you catch my drift." She leant back with a mischievous sparkle in her eyes, and I pulled a face.

"Ew, woman. Disgusting."

"What? I'm pretty sure you've already had this thought at least once." Gill shot me an accusing look, and I hated how my cheeks turned the slightest bit red.

"Of course not. He's like, forty."

"He's thirty-six," Asher chimed in, glancing up at me. "Didn't know that was your type."

Rolling my eyes, I reached for the pillow next to me, tossing it at his head. He caught it with ease before looking away to hide the faint grin spreading on his face.

I caught a glimpse of it though, and it was enough to make my stomach clench.

"He's ripped," Gill said. "Honestly, I'm not sure if my arms would even fit around his upper body. Hugging would be quite the challenge."

"Can you stop thinking about him now?" I replied, forcing my tone to mirror my irritation. "Honestly. Get a boyfriend."

Gill laughed, setting her drink down at the coffee table between us. "Honey, no. You don't get to talk about relationships with me."

The redness on my cheeks was back, this time stronger, causing my whole face to burn as I rolled my eyes. Thankfully my phone was vibrating in my pocket in that moment, and I pulled it out to check who had texted me.

It was Conan, asking me if I wanted to go on a ride with him later.

Asher pulled out his phone as well, checking the time. "I should probably head home soon. I have to prepare dinner again today."

That meant I would probably leave soon as well, since we had already been here for a few hours. So I texted Conan back, telling him to come pick me up in a few minutes, and briefly describing where Gill's house was.

- Asher's POV -

"I should probably head home soon. I have to prepare dinner again today."

Gill turned her head into my direction. "Again? You're like, a master chef now. Gordon Ramsay is quaking."

I shrugged. "I'll probably just make pasta. Or something with potatoes, I don't know."

I glanced at Kiri when Gill started talking about what she had made for lunch today. He was on his phone, texting someone. When he was done he shoved it back into his pocket, his attention returning to us.