Chapter Thirty-Five: Being Homeless

I made my way up towards my apartment with a heavy heart and nothing else. Life seriously sucked for me at that moment, and all I wanted was to shower and go to bed. I wanted to forget all of the shit that had happened in the span of a day. How you could go from total happiness to hell was a fucking enigma.

I didn't have any real bags with me, besides the stuff that Joshua had bought me. I was left with his gifts, but not him. Talk about irony. I didn't even care about the pretty labels on the clothes; they were practically worthless to me.

I pushed the door to my apartment roughly, wondering why the stupid thing stuck. It hadn't done that before. As I questioned the state of my door, I was literally assaulted.

There were no guns or knives. No, this was ten times worst. The foulest stench I had ever encountered in my life hit me like a tidal wave the moment I pushed into my apartment. It smelled like something had died and decomposed in my place.

"What the fuck?" I questioned, looking deeper into the place without breathing. I instantly remembered the pancake fight I had with Joshua before we left. Jesus Christ, exactly what I needed to top off my wonderful freaking day!

Right as I was about to set a foot into my puke factory, I felt a sharp tap on my shoulder. I don't know why my heart started to beat faster and my breath hitched. Alright, I did know. Some retarded part of me felt like maybe the person behind me was Joshua.

My mood dropped again when I turned around and faced my landlord, Mr. Chaz. I didn't usually see him very often, but I was getting a nice little visit from him at that moment.

Mr. Chaz was practically the shortest man I had ever met. Later, when I thought of it better, I would wonder how the hell he reached up to tap my shoulder. Not that I was very tall, but I was definitely half a foot taller. He stood no more than five feet tall and had this insane mustache that twitched whenever he spoke. I had never had any trouble with the man, so I was a little surprised about his visit. I didn't take me very long to realize that the putrid stench emitting from my apartment might have been the reason for our encounter.

"Ms. Fenster!" The little man addressed me.

I tried to smile before I spoke, "Mr. Chaz! Er, how nice to see you..."

At that point I was pretty nervous about what was happening. I felt like my bad luck from the entire day was following me until the end, so I saw his next words coming.

"It seems that I have received various complaints from your neighbors about a particular smell." Mr. Chaz spoke, mustache wiggling. I knew he could smell that particular stench at that moment since my door was open. I was jealous of his mustache, though. Lucky guy had at least a filter for the smell.

"Yeah, see, about that-" I was cut off by his next words.

"Ms. Fenster the smell has been present for several days and I have already sent in a cleaning team to get rid of the unpleasantness. Sadly, they were not able to fix much of anything, aside from jamming the door." He said the last part as a side note, like something that had pissed him off and was probably my fault too.

"Mr. Chaz, I can assure you that I can get rid of the smell soon. I mean, it isn't that bad!" I tried to fix things by taking a big hearty breath. It was a shit idea, because once the smell hit my nostrils I tried to hold my disgust in, but failed miserably when I ended up shuddering.

"I've already had three people move out! I'm sorry, Ms. Fenster, but I'm going to have to ask you to evacuate your apartment for good." The short man finally declared. He only looked a little sorry and much angrier.

I didn't even have time to plead my case before he gave me my eviction notice and scurried off. So, I stood there clutching the paper with on hand and the clothes Joshua bought me on the other. I wasn't sure if my eyes started to water because of what had just happened or the horrible smell. It was probably a little bit of both.