Love and Cars

{{"Good boyfriends don't kiss and tell." He smiled again, then slid back under the car.}}

Kaida and I took turns watching the boys work on each car. Apparently Gil was the only one allowed under Konai's Mustang. I would go talk to Gil for a while, then go watch Konai work on Joe's engine. I had to make sure not to walk up and disturb Konai because, well, I was a distraction. At least, that's what Joe kept calling me. So most of the afternoon was spent chatting with Gil. He was even nice enough to buy me and Kaida each a bottle of water as we waited for them to finish working on the cars.

He slid out once more, searching for another tool. "Hey Gil, can I ask you something?" I slid down to sit by him on the concrete floor. He turned and looked at me, "Yeah sure, I guess so." He pushed himself forward then sat up. "What did you want to know?" He wiped his hands on his jeans and leaned forward.

"Well... I was kind of wondering. You've been going to school here since the eighth grade..." "Yes, I started in the middle of the school year. It was kind of horrible." He scrunched his face, but smiled at me. "Well, this is the first time you've ever really talked to me. I was wondering why?" I held my hands up defensively, "not that I mind, I like talking to you. I was just wondering.... why now, and not before?"

He sighed and ran his fingers through his dark curls. "At first it was just because you were a girl. I've always found it really hard to just walk up and start talking to a girl." He shrugged, looking a bit embarrassed. "But then it was obvious that you were with the tribal boys."

I must have looked as confused as I felt, and he tried to explain, "No, I don't mean you were with any of them like that, but... you were one of them. Like a click or a group or something. It just kind of made you seem, unobtainable." He frowned and rubbed the side of his neck. "Maybe that's the wrong word. Unapproachable?" He shook his head again. "Um, I guess you could say, well you seemed really... intimidating."

I had just taken a drink of water out of my water bottle, and choked. Gil reached over and patted my back gently. I wiped off my mouth and looked up at him, "You thought I was... what?"

He looked embarrassed and apologetic at the same time. "Sorry, you just seemed so far out of anyone's league. You always seemed to be so sure of yourself, you never really took flack off of anyone, even jokingly. You're really straight forward and honest, and that's kind of intimidating. Plus a lot of guys were worried about being pummeled by Konai or one of the other boys. I guess nobody was brave enough to really talk to you." He reached over and patted my leg, "We all kind of thought you were dating one of them." He scooted back and grabbed a soda off the shelf by his bag.

I turned away, knowing my cheeks were turning pink. I couldn't believe that anyone could have been intimidated by me. That just seemed so.... wrong. All this time I thought people just didn't like me, or were just avoiding me. But they'd been afraid to talk to me instead. Was that worse?

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, "Actually no, I wasn't ever dating anyone. Well, not until this last weekend." I smiled and tucked my chin on top of my knees.

"Yeah, I noticed." He answered softly. I looked back at him, but he was smiling kindly. "That's really nice, you and Konai dating. I know Ben would liked to have known you were single, but I think Konai is a really great guy. He'll make a good boyfriend for you."

"Wait. What?" My water bottle almost slid out of my hand, and I had to reach out and catch it.

"Konai will be a good..."

"Uh, no, not that part. What you said about Ben." I stared at him, not really comprehending what he'd said. He turned away quickly and started to slid under the car again. I caught the edge with my hand and rolled him slowly back out. He sighed loudly and I watched him deliberate over his words.