Being Brave

We heard a soft tapping on the front door. That was not Konai, he probably would have been beating down the door. Kaida gave me a frantic look.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Don't make him just stand out there!" I shoved her jacket at her and pushed her towards the stairs. She walked down as gracefully as possible, which looked a lot more like running to me.

I laughed and followed slowly behind her. Little Joe was at the door, looking very handsome in his black dress slacks and crisp white shirt. His mouth popped open when he saw her. Oh yes, tonight was going to be a very good night. Joe handed her a little clear box, she giggled and opened it, helping him pin the flowers to her shoulder. She turned at me, just beaming, "Wait right here." Then she closed the door behind her.

What was she doing? I crossed the room slowly. I peeked out through the small pane of glass in her front door, and saw Konai's jet black Mustang sitting, purring like a kitten, in front of their house. She was talking fast, gesturing wildly to her brother, who had gotten out of the car.

Joe looked nervously between the two of them, then back at me. I was sure I didn't want to know what she was saying to them. Konai's hands gripped the top of his door like a vice. I could almost see his knuckles turn white under the pressure. I flinched away from the door, backing up slowly.

I couldn't do this, not with him loathing me every moment we were together. She said something quite loudly, but I still couldn't make it out. Joe interrupted, which only caused more issues. Then Kaida hissed at her brother. He looked down, shaking his head, and closed the door. She smiled, gave him a quick squeeze, then jumped into the car. Konai headed towards the house.

I looked around for a place to hide.

My breathing seemed to shut off and I gasped for a minute. There was a light tap on the door, then I giggled. A nervous, slightly disturbed laugh. He was knocking on his own door? I wondered, for a moment, what she had said to him. Maybe she really did threaten to torture him, I smiled. But I was still frozen to the floor, would it be too obvious to run away now? I took a deep breath.

No. I was braver than this. I would make this night perfect for Kaida. I would be happy and giddy and completely perfect tonight. And there was no way I was going to let Konai get the best of me, even if I had to torture him myself.

I yanked my long coat over my dress and opened the door, Konai was facing the other way, hands on his hips.

'Bring the attitude,' I thought.

I stepped out into the cool night air. I cleared my throat. "Thank you for giving us a ride." I was going to be as polite as possible. He turned, his eyes were bleak, a dark black, but only for a moment. One moment.