A Rough Start

{{ I yanked my long coat over my dress and opened the door, Konai was facing the other way, hands on his hips. 'Bring the attitude,' I thought.

I stepped out into the cool night air. I cleared my throat. "Thank you for giving us a ride." I was going to be as polite as possible. He turned, his eyes were bleak, a dark black, but only for a moment.

One moment. }}

~~~

He dropped his hands to his sides and stared at me. His eyes changed, and a look of complete confusion flitted across his dark features. A warm flush crawled over me instantly.

What? He wasn't going to start with the insults already was he? I couldn't start the night out dealing with insults, it would be too much. I wasn't willing to let him speak first, so I blurted out, "It's just better than walking, you know?"

He was staring at me as though he was attempting to do algebra in his head, his eyebrows pulled together as he frowned. He didn't answer and I wondered idly if he had he gone deaf in the storm the night before. The shrill honk of his horn made us both jump. I darted past him, running for the car, and jumped into the back seat with Kaida.

"What in blazes did you say to him, he won't even talk to me!" I squeaked at her.

"He has to be nice, or else."

"Or else what?"

She dug a nail file out of her small purse. "Or he gets a new paint job."

I laughed nervously, swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat. Turning in the seat, I saw Konai still on the front porch, still staring at the doorway where I had been standing.

Had he been hit by lightning? He was absolutely out of it. He shook his head twice, running his hands through his long black hair. I shifted in the seat and watched as he turned and started walking towards the car. His shirt was a lovely cream color, making him look darker than normal, the cuffs unbuttoned and rolled up to his elbows. He had even taken the time to tuck it into his dark khaki slacks.

Long black hair was undone, flowing down past his shoulders, the same as the night before. He looked so much more like a warrior than Little Joe, in fact, he looked ready to kill. His eyes were so determined that I slunk back into the seat, trying to hide myself as he got in the car.

It took him two tries to get it started, which was odd, because the car was in pristine condition. His Mustang had never looked better. It was probably the nicest car in all of Wapatau. The engine made a groaning noise as he pulled away from the house. He mumbled a quick, "Sorry," back to Kaida and I, but never turned around.

I scrunched myself further into the back seat, hoping to avoid his face in the rearview mirror. He was fine going to the dance, he was fine driving his sister and her date there. But by the way he sat, absolutely still, except for his fingers grinding on the steering wheel, made me inescapably certain that he did not want to be doing this, especially with me.

It was only a ten minute drive, but by the time we got to the small clearing, you could taste the tension in the air. The dance committee had laid out a perfect wooden floor, complete with twisted driftwood railing, in the center of Wapatau Park. Huge fire torches lining the outer edges would be more than enough for light, and to keep the villagers warm. We were also lucky that the sky was clear, so there was no chance of rain. Konai pulled into the closest spot, cutting the engine quickly. I was sure he just wanted to get the evening over with as soon as possible.

Joe got out, then turned and helped Kaida out from behind him. I waited for Konai to get out so I could exit the vehicle that had become unendurably stuffy. He didn't move. I couldn't get out without him exiting first. I looked at Joe, who, in turn, looked at Kaida. Kaida reached over and slammed the passenger door shut. Konai jumped, but did not reach for the door handle.

My heart started racing. I was his prisoner, and he didn't look as though he was going to move anytime soon.