The Walk Home

"Come on, I'll walk you home."

We stepped out into the cool fresh air. I wanted to be with him, but I didn't want him to walk me home. That just meant he'd have to say goodbye. But it wasn't as though I could just stay with him forever.

The sky was getting darker and it looked like it might actually start to snow. It was hard to believe we had just celebrated the spring festival, I wondered if we should have had another winter festival instead.

We had only walked down to the end of the porch when Konai turned and stopped me. "I need to run inside, I forgot something, I'll only be a minute." He smiled and ran back into the house. I smiled too. I wasn't sure exactly what had happened in there, but it all seemed to be back to normal. I turned to walk down the stairs and bumped into the dark figure that was standing behind me.

Patu reached out and steadied my shoulder to keep me from falling backwards, and immediately dropped his hand. I stood rigid, not exactly sure what to expect. He stared at me a moment and then ran a hand through his short dark hair.

"I'm....sorry. If what I said earlier hurt you, in any way. That is not what I meant to do." He backed up a step and looked up into the darkening sky. "As Kaida's father, I've understood her need for friendship, you two being friends has never been an issue. But as a father, I don't really agree with Konai's choice." His gaze wandered down to the snow covered ground. I held my breath, wondering if he was going to ask me to break up with Konai. But his next words surprised me.

"But as a man that has been in love, I understand the need for him to be with you. I am not saying I agree, but I cannot disagree." He closed his eyes and frowned. "A parent only wants what is best for their child, but sometimes..." His gaze turned to me, "sometimes the parent doesn't always know what is best. Konai is his own man now, and I will leave it up to him to make his own decisions. Regardless of the consequences."

He walked slowly down the steps and turned to walk back behind the house, no doubt where Homer was looking for him. He stopped just before disappearing around the edge of the house, and looked once more at me. I finally found my voice. "Thank you." I managed to squeak out. He didn't look angry, but he did not smile, "Do not let him down."

Let him down? How would I do that? I backed towards the front door, to wait for Konai, and started to worry. I had never been a girlfriend before, how hard was it going to be to be a good one? I wasn't a mean person, and breaking his heart was not something I would ever try to do.

My mind wandered and I jumped when warm arms wrapped around me. "What's wrong?" His voice was worried. "Oh, nothing, you just startled me." I smiled before turning around to face him. I glanced over at the stairs, where Patu had disappeared. His gaze followed mine and I pulled away and started down the stairs. "Come on, or we'll get stuck in the snow."

"Please, like I would worry about that," He looked up at the sky, "Besides, there's not much snow left on the ground, even if it did snow, it wouldn't add up to much." He caught up to me and we started down the street.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He tugged on my arm and I realized I had wrapped my arms around myself. It was something I did whenever I was upset. I loosened my arms and let them fall to my sides. "Fine, it's just a bit cold today."

"It could be colder." He smiled and I laughed. "Yeah, I know how cold it gets. Fine, maybe its just me. It feels like it could snow." I slapped my hands together and he reached over and closed his hand over one of mine. Static slid up my arm and settled in my chest. I suddenly felt warm all over. "Better?" He asked. Oh yes, I was definitely better. I felt toasty warm all over, and just from holding his hand. I giggled and he laughed out loud and we walked down the street hand in hand.