I'm Yours

I watched as the two men walked down the hall to the wash room, and found myself wondering exactly how mad Konai's dad was about us being together. I jumped as a warm hand touched my arm.

"Why don't you come help us with lunch?" Konai's voice was soft, but lacked the calmness that I craved. I knew he was just as on edge as I was. "Yes, of course." I turned and followed as he led Kaida and I back to the kitchen.

Kaida wove her fingers with mine and squeezed lightly. "Don't worry, everything will be fine, you'll see." And she tugged me towards the kitchen door that Konai had just walked through.

"I hope so." I didn't want to be forced away from Konai, it was painful just thinking about it.

"So.... You and Konai." She stated, matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, I think so."

"You think so?" She giggled. "You're his girlfriend now, right?"

"Well, he didn't say that, specifically..."

Kaida turned, eyes wide, and gave me the most disbelieving look I had ever seen on her face. "What do you mean?"

"Well, we haven't exactly figured out all the details yet." Well, to be honest, there were no details, other than the fact we'd both said 'I love you.' Other than that, I really had no idea what he thought of me as.

My best friend frowned and shoved the kitchen door open. Little Joe was at the sink cleaning off the fish, and looking a bit tense. Konai was reaching for fish batter supplies in the pantry. Kaida walked up behind her brother and reached past him to grab the flour and spice jars. I walked towards Joe, intending on helping him clean the fish, but flinched when I saw Kaida reach up and slap Konai in the back of the head.

"What?!" He grumbled at her.

"Be. Specific." And she jerked her head towards me.

He looked confused, and I prayed he wouldn't think that I had talked her into doing that. I wouldn't ask her to hit him. In fact, part of me was seriously irritated that she had. He looked back to her, and then to me again, then closed his eyes and swore softly under his breath.

I wanted to run out of the room, I knew I was blushing, and it was bad enough that Kaida was interfering. I really didn't want to have this conversation in the same room as her and Joe.

Konai walked up to me and carefully took my hand. "Can I talk to you for a moment." "Uh, sure. Just let me..." I scrubbed my hands clean quickly and wiped them on my jeans. He led me past the kitchen, into the dining area, and sat down in the cushioned window sill. He patted the seat next to him, so I sat down. But not too close, my heartbeat was already erratic enough as it was.

He looked out the window a moment, then smiled shyly at me. He seemed to be gathering his nerve. Taking a deep breath, he spoke quickly, "Would you go out with me?"

I knew what his question was going to be, but without really thinking I blurted out, "Yeah sure, where to?"

"Um, that's not what I meant." He frowned and then took my hands in his. "Andrea I was wondering.... I mean, you know how I feel, and I know you care about me too...." He looked terribly nervous, like he was about to be shot by a harpoon. He cleared his throat, "Would you be my...." He seemed to think about it for a moment, "would you be mine?"

I smiled, "Yours?" He blushed slightly and his tone dropped an octave. "Yes Andrea, be MINE." I tilted my head, studying him. He had never been more handsome.

"Do you want me to be your girlfriend?" I tugged on his hand playfully. His smile wavered slightly but he tugged my hand forward, making me lean towards him. His eyes sparkled, "Yes, something like that."