Always

{{My smile never faltered, but I tilted my head and asked, "Why would it be different?" "Because I'm taking you to meet the Guardians."}}

I stood staring at him for a while. The words had sunk in, but somewhere between hearing them and comprehending them, my brain had completely shut down. He tilted his head slightly and looked a bit concerned. "Andrea? Are you okay?"

"Of course." No, that wasn't my voice. It sounded like I'd been sucking on helium. I cleared my throat and smiled, a bit embarrassed. "I'm fine, I mean.... I knew they were like you, you said that they were. I guess I just hadn't put everything together yet, all the boys being Guardians." I stared down at the buttons of my sweater, twisting them nervously.

He wrapped his hands around mine, stilling my fingers. I looked up and he was smiling, one corner of his mouth turned up. "Well they are, but not exactly. Not yet. We don't actually become Guardians until our eighteenth birthdays, when we become adults. Technically. Although it's not uncommon for some traits to show as early as sixteen."

He pulled me towards him slowly, "I'm the only Guardian that's going to be there, the rest of the guys are just average guys, okay?"

I gave him a tentative smile. He was trying to make me feel better, how sweet. I leaned up and kissed him quickly on the cheek. "Okay, lets get going." I pulled back, expecting a smile, but his cheeks were flushed and his eyes were a molten, swirling black. His mouth was in a tight line and he was staring at my lips, and a strange static filled my ears.

Tiny little currents ran up my spine and I shook slightly as I stepped to the side, reaching past him to pick up my bag. The tie was undone and books slid out of my bag as I pulled it off the bench. "Oh crap." I bent quickly and started picking up the books. "What's wrong?" He picked one up and looked at it. "Library books?"

"Yes, I'm an idiot. I forgot to turn them in before leaving earlier." I mentally smacked myself. I'd been so distracted all day, I'd forgotten the books. I'd also forgotten to go pick up my last painting from Miss Dega's classroom.

"Can I meet you outside? I really need to go drop this off and pick up some other stuff." I grabbed the books and shoved them back inside my bag.

He closed the passenger door and started to walk around his car, "Yeah sure, I'll wait out front for you." He winked and slid behind the wheel. I ran quickly through the shop door and paused as his car started up. Okay, how could a car actually sound beautiful?

Great, I was starting to sound like one of the guys. Next I'd be wanting one of my own. I turned and watched as he backed out of the shop, then shook my head, irritated with myself, and hurried down the hall towards the library.

I got to the door just as the librarian was leaving, "Mrs. Turnel wait, I forgot to give these to you!" She stopped in the doorway and turned quickly to see who was yelling at her. She was shorter than me, barely reaching my shoulders, with thick white hair and even thicker glasses. Her face was covered in happy wrinkles from smiling too much. She was one of the happiest people I knew. If anybody could seem perpetually happy, it was her.

"Well hello there Andrea, how was your weekend?" She smiled and reached to push open the door to the library. I followed her inside, pulling out the books in the bottom of my bag.

My weekend? It was great. I went to the dance, got a boyfriend..... Oh, and he happens to be a mythical being. Did I mention we were attacked and chased down by a polar bear yesterday?

"It was fine Mrs. Turnel. Although I was a little surprised by the snowstorm we got yesterday." I sat the books on her counter and turned to leave before I could say what was really on my mind.