One

The door opens. It's exactly five in the morning, as the guard opens our door. This is how our morning starts every day.

As we leave our little room, we are handed a peice of paper, our chores for the day. If it's not finished, by the end of the day, we are beaten or worse. Yes, there's worse, than being beaten.

Thankfully I haven't been on the worst scale of things since I have arrived. I always seem to get my things done one way or another,to avoid it. I'd rather be beaten, which I have almost regularly.

"These are your chores,get them done or else," the guard says eyeing me, up and down. I fight back the shiver that runs down my spine, at his thoughts.

Tomorrow at midnight is my eighteenth birthday and I'd be damned if someone touches me, in anyway, that he is imagining.

It's bad enough that we have to gag each other when we first shift, to prevent the pack from hearing our screams as the pain consumes us.

Today my list of chores consists of:

Laundry
Breakfast
Dishes
Cleaning Alpha and Luna's room
Lunch
Dishes
Beta and mate's room
Dinner
Dishes

Looking at my list of chores, my friend Anita walks up to me. "Looks like we have the same, let's get to work," she says. As the others go their ways. Some out to the stables others to pack houses.

"I'll get laundry going, you start on breakfast and then I'll join you," Anita says. Nodding my head, I leave for the kitchen.

Taking out everything for breakfast, I get the pans warmed on the stove and set to work, mixing eggs, and pancake batter.

After a few minutes, Anita joins me and we get breakfast done in an fashionable time. We then take the food to the tables and set everything up for the pack, to eat.

I return to the kitchen and start on the dishes as Anita goes to check the never ending amount of laundry.

When she's done, the pack is done eating and she joins me in doing their dishes. Afterwards, we split ways. She goes to finish on laundry, as I go to clean the Alpha's room.

As the day goes by, we finally finish our chores, around nine and we then are ushered to our room. Since we got our things done on time, nothing happens to us.

I count heads and I notice that we are missing the youngest girl. Just then we hear screams, as she is beaten for her not getting her chores done.

Anita, goes to our first aid kit, and grabs it from the rotting floor boards, and we wait, listening to the poor girls screams.

After awhile,they grew bored of beating her and she is thrown into the room, and the door is slammed shut and we all hear the locks click into place, one by one, four locks all together.

Anita and I rush to the girl, and start cleaning and bandaging her wounds. When we were done, she sat in my lap, as I let her cry into my rags for clothes. Petting her hair as she did.

She cried well into the night, as I held her close, for comfort. When she finally fell asleep, I started to nod off.

I was startled awake along with the other girls as the alarms went off. We went to the furthest corner in the dark room, and huddled together, Anita and I with the girl, and the rest of the girls in front of us. Our instincts to protect the young and weak, on our minds.

We stayed cuddled in fear, and worry for what lays beyond the door.

################################

*Please vote and comment.