Chapter 38 Withdrawals

I was stuck in that hospital bed for two months. The doctors refused to release me despite every battle I had with them. The bullet had lodged itself directly next to my kidneys, narrowly missing my vertebrate’s.

I had survived. Everyone had visited. The entire mafia and all of their families. Sam and Drew visited multitudes of times. A crying Alicia and grief stricken Becca. And of course, Jorge and George who were practically my guardians. They ran the mafia while I recovered slowly, day by day.

I had somehow managed to not flunk out of school. Straight C’s being my only option while I tried to keep up in an uncomfortable hospital bed. I had gotten out of that hell hole a week before my coronation.

----------------------

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN HER DRESS HASN’T BEEN ORDERED YET?!” Jorge barked in the phone as I rolled my eyes while eating cereal.

“YES IT NEEDS TO BE HERE BY THE END OF THIS WEEK DIPSHITS, AND IF IT ISN’T, THEN CONSIDER YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY DEAD YOU FUCKING CUNTS!” He screamed before shutting off the phone call and sighing.

“Damn them for not putting my dress, which was fitted yesterday, onto their priority list.” I said sarcastically before Alicia and Becca sat down. They had convinced the school that they needed to stay at home with me while I recovered and they somehow bought it. A few threats sealing the deal. In that span of two months, they had been trained to be the best assistants and assassins I had known. While of course, wearing every high heel under the sun.

“This is like the ball all over again,” Becca groaned as she let her head fall on the table. The plate of pancakes taking the hit.

Alicia took a shot of espresso before chasing it with a strong cup of black coffee. “How on Earth can you sleep, that’s the last thing on my mind,” She said as her pupils looked around wild and dilated. We were definitely back to normal.

Sam and Drew had been forced by their parents to return to school, their senior year being more imperative than they had expected. But they visited nearly every weekend thanks to the private jet. And they were more than eager to join the mafia.

Sam had abandoned the Bleu’s mafia in hopes to stay closer to Becca. And Drew had decided to come into the family when he realized we had no medical staff. His motive to stay in school being to become a doctor and then prep us with a full capable private hospital. Decreasing our amount of money spent on medical expenses by more than half. He planned on going to medical school at UCLA to stay close to Alicia.

There were of course the funerals. It had been somber the day that Vincent and my dad were buried. It was actually cold and raining which was highly odd for March weather in Santa Barbara. It left me relieved to think that they were safe somewhere, physically and emotionally.

Kyle Bleu? He was nowhere to be seen. After that fleeting moment in the ambulance, he had disappeared. I checked everywhere. Hotels, airlines, taxi services, the frat, and every hospital between Santa Barbara and Berkeley. Nothing. I was a ball of confused emotions by this. Did I really want to find him? The man whose job was to fall in love with me and gain power for his own business? The man who I fell in love with and cared about so much that it hurt to even think about. My soul mate.