True 1

Hey Kakashi,

It's been a while, hasn't it?

Six months feels like a long time when you are on your own. Maybe it doesn't feel as long for you since all your friends are there. But for me... I can't explain how strange it is. Sleeping in different inns most nights, sometimes just finding a tree and lightly napping. Never seeing a familiar face....

So where to start.... When I left Konoha, the first place I went was my childhood home. Found some hints there, but it was pretty dilapidated. Wasn't easy to be there, but I did what had to be done. Burnt the place to the ground when I left.

I've made it to three Katanashi clan ruins so far. Managed to uncover a few secrets, and I was right! You said I probably wouldn't find any hidden library or anything, but MAN did I hit the jackpot at the second place I visited. It got to the point where I was storing scrolls filled with books in other scrolls.

Beyond my hunt to do with my clan, I've gotten into bounty hunting for income. And before you say anything about staying safe, I've stayed away from the big shots in the bingo book. Those S-rank guys look scary, and I know I'm not up for it. I mainly hunt B-rank, managed to snag a couple A-ranks who were off guard though. I've taken out a few local criminals at villages and got rewarded for it, but you'd be amazed what passes as a criminal some places. One little village wanted me to execute half a dozen teenagers who had stolen bread. I told those elders where to shove it.

Word about the big villages gets around quick. I heard what happened at the Chunin exams, that had me upset for a long time. I found a way to get by though, and as soon as I heard about Tsunade-sama taking the place as Godaime Hokage, I sent her a message explaining who I am, where I am, and what I'm doing. She said that I could keep doing what I was, just to keep her posted. She has one of my owls in case she wants to contact me.

Oh yeah, my summons are owls and foxes, both white like snow. Got that sorted out so that's cool! Kinda was hoping for dogs like you (I think Pakkun grew on me), but foxes are close enough.

Like I said, I've hit three places so far. Deciphering codes and finding things on maps makes the process take a lot longer. Currently, I have two more I know the locations of, and I'm on my way to one now. I think I've almost worked out the location of a sixth, but a few codes have been duds so far so I dunno. It looks like this one is real, can't say for sure.

I seem to spend a lot of time reading, and I've learned a lot of new jutsus and things I can do with my Kekkei Genkai. Sadly, none of these books are anywhere near as interesting as yours, which I'll have to borrow again when I get back, but it's alright. My days are entertaining in their own ways. And honestly, never underestimate the usefulness of chatty old people. Get on their good side, and you will learn all the secrets of the area. I managed to shut down a whole underground trafficking organisation! That's a story for another time though, and not for innocent ears.

All joking and stories aside, I miss home. You wouldn't believe how many letters I have started writing and discarded. The more time I spend writing letters or thinking about home, the harder it is to keep going with this journey. I can't afford that.... I have to do this. If I don't, I feel like I'll just be disappointing Sandaime-sama....

Well, if all goes well, I should be home in another six months. Fingers crossed, but if I find more leads, you know I won't give up.

Oh, and one last thing.... I know my sister went missing during the final Chunin exam. I heard rumors of a girl her description with Orochimaru, the one behind the attack. I've been working hard to cover my tracks, I'm wearing blue contacts again just to be safe. I know it's silly of me to be scared, but it's so hard not to be.... I'm actively avoiding anywhere that may have relations to Orochimaru, so hopefully all is well in that sense.

I hope all is going well back home. I can't wait till I'm back. We'll have to get a couple drinks and catch up as soon as I'm back.

Give my love to everyone. Kurenai, my classmates, Pakkun, even make sure Sasuke gets some. Oh, and keep some for yourself.

Alright, I think that's a long enough letter. You'll hear from me before long.

Missing you all!

~Hikari

*#*#*#*

Kakashi sat alone at Ichiraku Ramen, a place he used to visit all the time with his team. It seemed quiet without them, a quiet he didn't enjoy.

He could remember coming here with the five Genin he had been assigned; joking, laughing, having fun. Now it was just him. Two of them had disappeared to serve an S-rank criminal, one was training under the Hokage, and the last one....

A sigh left his lips as he broke his chopsticks apart. He hadn't heard from the last student in a year. A year ago - a week short of to the day - he had received a letter from her, carried by a white owl, and there had been silence ever since. Tsunade wouldn't say anything, but assured him that she was okay. As far as he knew, those words were empty, simply to appease him. He kept hopeful of her return, but the more time passed, the harder it was to stay positive.

"Kakashi-sensei!" The Jonin set down his chopsticks and looked over his shoulder at the pinkette who had entered the stall, puffing slightly.

"Sakura, nice to see you," he greeted.

"She's back!" she exclaimed rather loudly, making him blink in surprise.

"Who?" he asked.

"Hikari! She's with Shishou right now!" she said, grabbing the Jonin's arm. Immediately, he forgot about the ramen, and followed Sakura. The two ran excitedly to the Hokage's office, eager to see their teammate.

The blonde haired girl they were eager to see was standing beside Tsunade's desk, looking out the window with her arms crossed. Shizune was standing on the other side, looking at the report they had just been given.

"You're certain? This report is rather...."

"Gruesome? Disturbing? Hard to believe? I know. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it either. I need you to believe me when I say I can't handle this alone."

"And you won't. This isn't just your responsibility."

"Thank you."

Shizune looked out the window, and saw two figures running towards the office. Tsunade had sent Sakura to fetch Kakashi, so Shizune's nod to Tsunade needed no explanation.

"For now, welcome home, and it's a pleasure to finally meet you. I know some people are looking forward to your return."

A knock at the door caught the blonde's attention, and she looked over quickly. Tsunade's voice broke through the silence.

"Come in."