True 4

When I woke, it wasn't as pleasant as it should have been. Thrown from a nightmare into reality, I shot up with a start, gasping for air and holding my throat with one hand. My heart raced as I tried desperately to shake the fear that was making my shoulders tremble.

"Hikari?" a voice groggily called out, and a hand rubbed my back. I quickly looked to my right, to find the most relieving thing possible. Kakashi was laying in bed, but had pushed himself onto his elbow so he could reach and see me.

I took a deep breath and released my throat, instead resting it over my pounding heart. I closed my eyes as I tried to calm down, and lay back, Kakashi's arm now wrapped around me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," I said softly, taking more deep breaths.

"It's fine Are you alright?" he asked, rolling onto his side to face me.

"I'm okay. Just a nightmare," I said, opening my eyes enough to see his concerned ones looking down at me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He carefully brushed some hair from my face.

"I'd rather not, if that's okay," I said, giving a weak smile.

"That's fine. Can I do anything to help?" he asked, smiling back.

"You're already doing more than enough," I said, rolling over to rest my forehead against his chest. He held me close, rubbing my back gently. It definitely helped sooth my nerves, and I snuggled up against him happily.

"How did we wind up in your bed?" I asked quietly, drawing lines on his clothed chest with a finger.

"You fell asleep on the couch. I carried you in here and fell asleep beside you," he said, "That's not a problem is it?"

"Not a problem at all," I said, looking up to give him a smile. He smiled back, and pressed a kiss to my forehead through his mask.

My eyes widened in surprise, and I could feel my face warming up with a bright red blush. He looked down at my face and chuckled.

"I like that expression," he said, his eyes soft as he smiled.

"Shush," I mumbled, hiding my face against his chest. This just made him laugh more.

"What do you have to do today?" he asked, changing the topic for my sake. I thought about it, and rolled onto my back to look at the roof.

"I need to see Tsunade-sama as soon as possible. I need to sort out somewhere to live, and discuss my report with her, as well as what she wants me doing from here on out," I said.

"You could just live here again," Kakashi offered. I shook my head immediately.

"I have far too many books to deal with, and I need my own space," I said. He seemed to pout slightly.

"You'll be more than welcome to come round often," I laughed. He chuckled and nodded. I sat up and glanced at the clock I could see on his bedside table. It was almost midday, so I got myself out of the bed and stretched.

"Are you gonna head out then?" Kakashi asked, sitting up.

"Yeah, I'd best go talk to Godaime-sama soon," I said, picking up my backpack. It carried all the belongings I had, stuffed into scroll upon scroll.

"Should I expect you to be back here later today?" he asked, and I thought about it.

"I'm not sure...," I said.

"Well, keep me up to date with what's happening if you can," he said with a smile, which I returned.

"Of course. One question though...," my voice trailed off, and a slight blush spread across my face.