True 9

"How do you wear this all the time? It's so...restricting...," I said, walking alongside Kakashi.

I was dressed in traditional Jonin clothing, with the pants, jacket, shoes and all. I had my hitai-ate tied around my forehead like most people did as well.

"Tsunade-sama has instructed that you aren't to stand out, and your normal attire is very distinct," he said, shooting me a sideways glance.

"True, but still," I said, pouting. I reached back and twisted my long blonde hair into a bun, fastening it with a couple senbon.

"I think it's kind of refreshing," he said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Because no one is eyeing me?" I teased. He chuckled.

"Maybe."

"Ne, Kashi," I said quietly after a couple minutes of peaceful walking.

"Yes, Hika?" He looked down at me.

"Whatever happens, I want you to know something," I said softly, and he stopped walking, turning to face me properly.

"Nothing's going to happen. Everything will be okay," he said, softly, placing a hand on my cheek.

"I know but...just in case," I said.

"Alright, what is it?" he said, placing a gently kiss on my forehead.

"I-I...No matter what, I l-love you, okay?" I said, blushing slightly. I averted eye contact shyly.

"I love you too," he said softly, and used a finger to guide my chin. Lifting my chin so I was facing him again, he kissed me on the lips gently. I kissed back, letting myself focus on the moment.

"We can't be late," he said softly, pulling away.

"Since when do you care about being late?" I teased.

"Since the mission is this big and important," he said, wrapping his arm around my waist. We continued to the front gate of the village, where Neji, Gai and Tsunade were waiting. The three were standing there when we arrived.

"Are you ready?" Tsunade asked me as Gai started loudly talking to Kakashi.

"As ready as I'll ever be. Are the other teams ready?" I asked.

"All of them will be deploying an hour after you. Remember what I said, Hikari. We don't want to lose you," she said.

"I know. I'll try," I said, giving her a weak smile.

I looked at the other four, and Neji was silently watching Gai annoy Kakashi.

"You guys ready?" I asked, making Gai shut up instantly.

"Hai," the three chorused.

"Let's go then. The more time we waste, the more of our advantage we lose. Gai, you travel at the front to deal with any attacks first. Kakashi and I will be next, with Neji at the back. I'll be relying on you to be our eyes, Neji. Kakashi, I'll need you to be prepared for any quick planning. I am the squad leader, but you do better under pressure," I said.

"You need to trust Hikari's judgement, even if you don't approve," Tsunade said firmly.

"Let's move out!" I said, and the four of us took off at a run, taking to the trees quickly.

"What is the plan?" Neji asked from behind me.

"I haven't tried to hide my chakra, so if Miyu is able to access the second level of the Kekkei Genkai, she will sense me coming. Ideally, she will come out on her own. In the situation where others are with her, we need to be cautious and hold a safe distance. Orochimaru's arms are still damaged from what we know, but facing some of his henchmen at the same time isn't ideal. Should that be the situation, the backup should make it possible to proceed. I am the only person who will fight Miyu," I said, facing forward.