True 8

"Time is running out quickly, and we cannot afford to let this threat grow. We need to act now, before Miyu is unstoppable. At this point in time, we have scouts searching for and keeping tabs on Orochimaru. Our latest report shows that he has moved closer to the village, likely in preparation for attacking Konoha," Tsunade said, looking over the room filled with Jonin and Anbu.

"We will be sending a team to fight them head on, consisting of Hatake Kakashi, Might Gai, Hyuuga Neji, and Katanashi Hikari. Multiple teams are to follow behind closely, to provide backup."

A whisper spread across the room, and an Anbu raised their hand.

"Is it a good idea to send the person they are targeting in the main team? Wouldn't it be better to keep them in the village, where it is safe?"

"You think you could keep me here?" I said, making everyone turn to me. I stood at the back of the room next to Kakashi, arms folded.

"Hikari-san knows the skills of the Katanashi clan the best of everyone here. She will know how to counter Miyu's attacks," Tsunade said.

"Can't she share the information so everyone knows?" a Jonin asked.

"Will she even be able to defeat her sister?" a different Jonin said. People slowly started talking more and more.

"Shut up!" I yelled, making every fall silent immediately.

"Hikari," Kakashi said quietly, as a warning.

"I put this village first, and I have no familiar feelings for a girl who abused me for a large portion of my life so far. I will not share clan secrets, and I will not be benched while other people fight for me. Your Hokage knows what she is doing, so stop assuming things about a situation that is bigger than you realise. You may not have faith in me, but where is your faith in Tsunade-sama?" I said, stepping forward slightly.

Kakashi put his hand on my shoulder firmly, and I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"Hikari, come up here," Tsunade said, and I blinked in surprise. Kakashi released my shoulder, and I walked up to the Hokage.

"Before you is a girl who is merely nineteen years old, who has lost her whole clan, and yet is putting aside her relationship with her only relative for the sake of the village. She is willing to die for her village, an act that means taking the only survival of her clan with her. Does she deserve to be doubted? No. So stop complaining and distracting each other, and accept the plan. We will win," Tsunade said. I turned around beside her, facing the group, and I could see the determination that had formed on their faces.

"You will receive your mission briefs within the next week, be prepared to protect your village. Dismissed!"

After Tsunade said this, the Jonin and Anbu left the room, a few lingering behind.

"Hikari, that was reckless," Kakashi scolded, walking over to me.

"I wasn't going to stand there and listen to them talk rubbish," I said, shrugging.

"I respect your desire to keep your clan secrets, however many of them do not come from clans with Kekkei Genkai. They don't understand," Tsunade said.

"But that was badass, Hikari. Shutting down all of them at once," Anko said, appearing beside me and wrapping an arm around my neck.

"I know I am putting you in a dangerous situation Hikari, by putting you in the front line. I need to ask though, do you really think you can defeat Miyu?" Tsunade asked.

I averted my eyes, my mind looking back on the recent failures and my lack of progression with the clan abilities. Disappointing Tsunade wasn't an option, but was I ready enough?