- Part 6

Due to the nice weather, me and Yukina went outside to walk around a bit. I felt like a full-fledged riajuu for the first time in my life. I was outside, socialising with a bijin, and was having a good time. This must be the peak of my youth.

The school's field was massive. I felt tiny in comparison to the sheer size of it. All sorts of people congregated here, and a strong sense of cliques began to form.

"I have to admit, this is nice."

I sat on one of the slopes of the hills. Yukina sat down next to me, and brushed some hair out of her face. Laying down, I sighed.

"You should go outside more often. In middle school you always stayed inside playing on your phone." Yukina nudged me.

"I'm changing my ways, slowly."

"This school is extremely generous, isn't it?"

"Yeah. The cruise ship, the new phones, the 100,000 point allowances... I feel so free here."

"Even though there's some strict rules, this school is treating us very well. Though..."

"Though?"

"I can't help but feel like... there's a catch to all of this."

As Yukina said those words, I couldn't help but feel the same way. After all, we were still new to this school, and a lot of it was shrouded in mystery.

This much preferential treatment was a little frightening, and I could understand the doubts Yukina had. I also had them too, but I dispelled them quickly as my brain trying to rationalise what had happened to us. Regardless, I gave my answer.

"I agree. It feels like there has to be a risk to it all, right?"

I sat up and took out of my phone. Unlocking it, I opened the school app and downloaded a digital version of our booklets. Skimming through it, I tried to find any rules that might restrict us somehow.

Yukina watched me curiously, eyes following each page I looked through. I came to the swift conclusion that there was nothing stated in the booklet that held us back.

"I'll read through it more later."

"It's going to be interesting to see how everyone spends their points and time here." Yukina said.

"Yeah. I'm not gonna waste my points so easily, since I have bad money sense."

"It's okay to splurge a little, you know. Though, such a boring person like you wouldn't have anything to buy in the first place."

Ow, that stung a bit. Yukina, you're giving some seriously mixed signals here.

Panicked, I came up with a response on the spot.

"And... a girl like you would blow through half of those points buying cute clothes that you'll never wear."

"You never go outside to see me in those cute clothes, Yuu-kun. That's why you think I never wear them."

An instant, snappy reply came back like that. It doubled as a hidden attack by calling me a shut-in. Well played.

"Ah, I concede. You win."

"I wasn't even aware there was a battle going on. Was it all in your head?"

Despite her cold words, I didn't feel hurt by it. Instead, I felt more like an idiot, being strangely satisfied by it all despite the fact I was being mercilessly teased by my own friend.

Yukina giggled, and laid down beside me. I closed my eyes and let the gentle breeze of the wind take me away...

After a couple minutes indulging in peacefulness, I opened my eyes. From where I was laying down, I could see in the distance a game of football being played by some of the boys. From the crowd of mixed students, I recognised one of them.