- Part 3

Despite how popular Vanguard is, the Vanguard shop wasn't as rampant as I thought. Part of it was probably because the room was pretty small and cramped and there were only a couple tables out. Most people had put their decks in their luggage like I did, so a lot of people were spectating.

Matsushita guided me towards a small table near the back with a couple people surrounding it. There were two people playing with the others watching. Smoothly inserting himself into the flow of things, Matsushita spoke with confidence.

"Hey guys. Who's playing?"

A boy next to him, who was a bit short for our age, excitedly responded. He had a red tie on. "The boy using Dark Irregulars is Ishima Akihiro-kun, and the girl using Royal Paladin is Ishima Tamaki-chan."

I positioned myself next to Matsushita who continued to speak to the boy. "Ah, they're siblings?"

"Yeah. Ishima-kun's deck is super interesting. He uses the Cuticle Killer, Mirche as his avatar. Ishima-chan's deck is more of a standard Soul Saver Dragon deck, though."

I watched the siblings play back and forth with each other. Ishima Akihiro had a scary looking face and a deep caucus laugh. Ishima Tamaki was the exact opposite, being a girl with gentle features and light feathery laugh. How on earth were they siblings?

On closer inspection, I noticed that their ties were also different colours. Certainly, it seemed the male Ishima was in my class too, since he wore a red tie. The female Ishima had a sparkling white one in comparison.

Being surrounded by my future classmates... put me at a strange ease.

"Stand and draw! This is the hand that vanishes all! I ride, No Life King, Death Anchor!" Ishima triumphantly put his trump card down on the field. His face turned arrogant in an instant. "Imaginary Gift: Protect II!"

"Protect II, huh?"

I unintentionally made a small comment. The smaller boy who Matsushita was talking to turned his attention to me.

"Over the game, he's collected three of them. This is his fourth one."

I see. There were two Protect IIs stacked on each front row rear-guard circle.

"Death Anchor's skill! I soulcharge, and add 30k to vanguard! (12000 > 42000) Then, I'll call Succubus of Worldly Affairs (12000 > 22000), Cuticle Breaker, Pavla and Prisoner Beast to rear-guard! Prisoner Beast soulcharges and gets 2k! (8000 > 10000) Boosted by Dimension Creeper, Awful Nail attacks! (19000 > 32000)"

It seems he plays a very aggressive variant.

"Lucius and Kay, aid me! (13000 > 33000)"

"Boosted by Prisoner Beast, Death Anchor attacks! (42000 > 52000) Breakdown Death Breath!"

"Iseult, perfect guard!"

Ishima clicked his tongue. "Twin Drive!! (Cuticle Breaker, Pavla, Werluchs Gefreiter) Critical trigger! All to Succubus of Worldly Affairs! (22000 > 32000/1 > 2)"

The female Ishima looked worried at what her brother had done. She kept her cards hidden close to her chest. The male Ishima however had a cocky grin on his face, even though she was only at three damage.

"Death Anchor's skill! I counterblast and place a card from my hand and three of my rear-guards to soul!" Akihiro spread out his now nineteen card soul. Picking up a grade 3 from among them, he smirked. "Queen of the lost night, march under the rose dyed moonlight! I ride my avatar, Cuticle Killer, Mirche!"

"Here's the exciting bit!" The smaller boy exclaimed.

"Mirche goes critical (1 > 2), and attacks! (12000/2) Her skill, I counterblast and discard a card from my hand! I call a Cuticle Assassin Sabina (9000 > 19000) and Cuticle Breaker, Pavla from my soul! Mirche gets 5k! (12000 > 17000/2) In addition, since my vanguard is Mirche, Sabina gets an extra critical (1 > 2) and both of my Pavla get 10k! (7000 > 17000) Take her down, Thorny Chapel!"