Chapter 23

I made sure to limit myself to three drinks, didn't want to risk getting overly intoxicated on our first actual date. It was a good thing I had actually eaten earlier too, otherwise my relaxed buzz would probably be a whole lot worse, as it was, I had already almost knocked over two different bottles, but I wasn't sure if the alcohol was to blame, or my outright clumsiness was. We had moved out from behind the bar, and now stood in the center of the dance floor completely alone, held tightly in each other's arms, slowly swaying in a slight attempt to keep rhythm with the soft music playing overhead.

"I think this is my favorite first date I've ever had." He stated softly.

I could feel his chest vibrate against mine with each word he spoke, sending another wave of chills down my body. We had to have been dancing for over twenty minutes, exchanging small facts and details about our life the entire time. He had so many stories to tell, how different things were here versus being in California, what his favorite books were, tv shows, just about any casual conversation filler you could imagine.

"I don't really have anything to compare it to." I joked, smiling upwards towards him.

"You've never been on a date before?" He asked, his voice heavy with skepticism, raising his trademark eyebrow. "Someone who looks like YOU, has never been on a date, not even with a girl?"

I found myself chuckling pretty hard at his disbelief. I mean, I definitely had offers thrown my way, quite often to be honest, but I just wasn't interested. It's not as if the men and woman that asked weren't attractive or anything, I just never really considered it an option.

"Nope, never have been. I just never really wanted too. I figured all I needed were my books, until I met you, I mean."

"Was that your way of saying you need me?" he asked, chuckling at his own question to let me know he wasn't serious.

"Don't look to deeply into it." I responded, joining him in laughter.

I was glad he had a sense of humor, and a solid understanding of sarcasm, making it to where I wouldn't have to worry about curbing my jokes to heavily. Waiting till the current song ended, he took a step back from me, but made sure to keep eye contact.

"So, if you've never been on a date, that means you've never..." he asked, drawing out the last word.

I knew what it was he was asking, if I had ever had sex before or not. Being a virgin wasn't something I was ashamed of at all. I never understood the pressure people put on you to actively seek out someone to sleep with, and with the amount of pregnant fifteen and sixteen-year-old students I've seen at school and on tv, I decided that I would wait until I was ready, despite what anyone else thought.

"I don't ever want to pressure you, Leo. If at any at any time I go further than you are ready for, just tell me. I will stop immediately."

He was stern, choosing his words carefully to make sure I completely understood. I couldn't appreciate his patience more than I did now. He respected my choices, respected that I didn't want to rush things, that I wanted to take my time.

Smiling and thanking him for his words, I walked slightly out of his range to the table where I had set my last drink of the night, still almost full and cold from the ice melting inside of it. Taking a rather large portion of it into my mouth, I still marveled at the taste, savoring the different spices that seemed to blend perfectly to the drink it was mixed with, before swallowing it down and turning back to Kavaar.

I watched as he pulled his phone out and sighed deeply before putting it back into his pocket, then looked to me, with a somewhat disappointed look on his face. I was worried I had done something wrong within the last few seconds, but my fears were quickly replaced with a slight relief, followed by disappointment as well.