Chapter 19

Leo's POV

I decided to put the flower on the nightstand next to my bed, setting it directly behind the alarm clock but still in view from the top end of my mattress where my pillows lie. It was about to turn five thirty in the morning and I still had no idea what I wanted to do about Kavaar. I knew my mom would be awake and moving around downstairs, preparing a breakfast for us. She did this almost every Saturday morning, woke up way too early, fixed an entire meal for us, then usually took Chloe to her see her grandmother till Monday while she went to the studio.

I didn't mind getting left alone for a few days, she always made sure to overload my bankcard with money so that I could get anything I needed. I used to go with Chloe all the time, but as I got older, I stopped wanting to go. It quickly became a chore, tedious even, when all grandma ever tried to do was go on dates with literally any woman she saw. I appreciated her tenacity, but it got old pretty quickly.

Getting up from my bed and walking to the corner of my room that had some simple weights, I started my usual morning workout, something I hadn't done since the car accident, and man, could my body tell. It hurt to lift pretty much anything at the moment, but I made myself power through it. If I wanted to maintain the body I worked hard to get I was going to have to work through it.

After about forty-five minutes I decided to stop and head downstairs. Mom already had Chloe up and her stuff packed, sitting her at the table with a bunch of food stacked on the plate. Looking over I saw my protein shake sitting at the opposite end and a large stack of French Toast and a tub of butter sitting next to it. I always appreciated the little things she did for me. She knew I always woke up early on Saturday's to work out, fix a shake, then go for a jog so she started having it ready for me.

"Good morning honey, how'd you sleep? Did you have a good time with the neighbor the other night?" she asked cheerfully as she turned around and took her place at the table.

I kind of forgot I had texted her I was there, but to be fair I had a fair amount to drink beforehand. I contemplated telling her a lie, making something up saying that I had a horrible time, that I never wanted to see the neighbor again, but I couldn't do it. My mother and I were really close, I'm sure I would get in trouble, but I didn't want to betray her trust. Told her everything that happened the other night, how I got drunk at a bar, almost hooked up with someone that turns out is my new English teacher, how I said I was afraid of shorts, as well as the awkward exchange at the house after I came home 'sick'.

I made sure to leave out what happened last night with me punching him after finding out it was him who I found rummaging through my car. She stayed quiet for a moment, not saying anything before breaking into an explosive laugh, catching Chloe and I both off our guard. I figured she would be angry, disappointed, pretty much anything aside from breaking into a laughing fit.

"You...HA-you said you were afraid of SHORTS?" She managed before breaking into another burst of laughter.

"Wait, so, I'm not in trouble for what I did?"

I had to wait a moment for her laughter to subside. It took a bit longer than I expected for her to compose herself, but when she finally came around, she looked me directly in my eyes and half smiled. I could tell what I said bothered her, but she was trying to hide it.

"Leo, I'm not happy with what you did. You know better than to drink at a bar, you could have gotten hurt going home with a random guy from a bar, so I am very disappointed in you for this. However, it looks like everything worked out in some weird hilarious turn of events, so I think you learned your lesson. You turn eighteen in two weeks. You're going to be an adult and I'll respect that."