Book Nerd

I was in search for a good novel to read at the library that day. Basketball season just came off and the rest of the week was a week for us to rest so I decided to grab a novel from the library to read. Most people, wouldn't see me as a book nerd, but to tell you honestly, I loved reading books. It was a way for me to escape through this human world and explore through the places where books could take me to -- and yes, it even took me towards you.

I was in search for a book by John Green along the fiction section. I was at the end of the shelves when I saw you. Sitting at a couch, reading a book entitled Flipped. Who would've thought that a person like you would also read that book? And before I knew it, I was already looking at you and I had almost forgotten the book that I was looking for. Perchance, it was the smile plastered on your face while reading through the book that caught me off guard. Maybe, the way your eyes were smiling along with your lips or maybe the way you sat like an indian on the couch. But I don't know, I couldn't explain specifically why though.

I was debating with myself if I was going to approach you or not. You may have even read three chapters more before I even got the courage to walk up to you. I know that we already knew each other, but we're not just as close as friends, merely acquaintances. But for a girl who'd read Flipped like she's traveled time back to eight grade? She must be interesting.

I walked more towards you as you chuckled to yourself, what part are you into right now? I thought. I saw you tuck your short black reddish hair at the back of your right ear and brushed off your bangs. I immediately hid behind a shelf, which was a bit childish, but I just feared that you might see me before I could even get that close to you. Having this kind coyness was a bit weird, being that I'm almost next to a person that I like. It was like an instinct, the way I hid from your eyes, like the universe controlled me for a second.

"But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent. And when you do, nothing will ever compare." I uttered one of my favorite lines from the book as I walked towards you. You looked up to me and smiled. I decided to initiate the conversation.

"Juli's a really nice girl. Iridescent truly describes her." I told you as I sat beside you.

"Yeah. Bryce is a coward!" You said, half irritated.

"Yes he is, but things will flip as you read on to the novel." I explained. You looked at me and smiled.

"I didn't know you read such books, Jeron." You said, amused.

"I didn't know you read such, either." And we both chuckled.

As cliché-ish as it might sound, we became more closer than ever. Like two puzzle pieces perfectly matched. We knew each other not only as co-athletes, but came way more than friends. We started to connect with each other's souls--to our favorite novels, to the characters we love and hate, to our favorite songs and playlists; Sports was not really the only common thing between the two of us.

I even remember the night you called me and vented out all the feels that you had with a book you were currently reading. You cried on the phone as I laughed at you because you were just so cute.

"I so hate cancer!" You told me through the phone. "Forever's not true though."

"You know Mika, some infinities are bigger than other infinities. Hazel and Augustus' infinity may be a short one but it sure was enough for them to express their love for one other." I explained to you as I heard you calm yourself from crying over the book.

"Okay Mr. Book Nerd. I feel sleepy from all this crying already." You chuckled.

"So I guess, this is good night."

"Good night."

"Okay?"

"Okay." We both chuckled and ended the call.

Volleyball season was over, and so I was also finished reading the book you suggested me to read. I was sitting at the same spot at the library--our usual spot--as I was waiting for you. Waiting for you made seconds feel like minutes, minutes feel like hours, and hours feel like days. I even got to finish scanning the whole book, but still I haven't gotten any sign of you.

Panic went through my veins. That maybe, it was just the stupid me, who got into novels so much, who thought love stories in novels could happen in real life. That a girl like you would really like me, or love me even. I started to get sad as I thought that maybe I'm the only one thinking that we could be something. Something magical that our love would even cure me if ever I'd become a zombie like R in Warm Bodies. I was just an ordinary student-athlete, not like Edward Cullen, Peeta Mellark, or Tobias Eaton. I'm not even as handsome as them, blame my chinky eyes and myself for not having fictional powers and strengths that they have.

But as the universe conspired to let us cross paths, it also conspired to bring us to a more deeper path. My chinky eyes got wide as I saw you, in a black dress, your hair neatly combed, and that smile of yours which was plastered on your radiant face as you approached me.

"Why are you wearing a dress?" I asked, as I got irritated for myself because I can't get off the smile on my face seeing you as beautiful as you are.

"Hmm... maybe things flipped?"

"Huh?" I asked, confused.

"I want to ask you out on a date." And as soon as you said those words, everything started to feel magical. Everything suddenly transmogrified as I thought that we were in a fictional literature and someone's currently writing my life, our life story. I looked at you still shocked, as you smiled wider at me.

"You serious?" I scoffed.

"Do I look like I'm not Mr. Bryce Loski?" You said as you crossed your arms at me.

"Okay, you are serious Ms. Juli Baker." I crooked a smile at you.

"So will you accept my invitation or not?" You asked offering your hand to me.

"Of course, I will accept your offer My Lady." I told you as I grabbed your hand and immediately locked my fingers into yours.

"This is awkward." I told you as I laugh.

"Okay, let's flip. You asked me out on this date." And we both laughed.

And I swear, in that moment we were infinite.

Something complete and completely alive.

Flipping us into something we never thought we would be.

That the universe worked with fate to make us happen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dedicated to JannDesireeCabertoPa

Inspired from the literary work of Adle Meye R. Enriquez entitled "The One Last Pathetic And Hopeless Story For You." from our very own Ang Pamantasan newspaper.

To be honest, I really do not ship JeMik, but granting a reader's request, I made this one. I so love reading books! Plus discovering new deep english words! And that's a few trivias about me lol.

All the books mentioned here are such great books I am suggesting you guys to read them :) Flipped has been adapted to a movie too, you might want to watch it hehe.

Ciao!