Chapter 23

(Y/n's POV)

The next day, I was unsurprisingly awake very early. The games start at 8 and I was already on the training field, facing a weird ass monster. Actually, for one's better training, the master had installed a device which could scan our magic energy, as well as our weaknesses and strengths to give us an opponent.

This leads me to where I am now facing a strange creature, waiting for it to attack me. Literally. I was sat crossed legged on the ground looking at it. We wouldn't be like this if that damn thing didn't stop transfiguring every two seconds. So being the good person I am, I was waiting for it to stabilize.

This has worked with everyone apart from me.

I huffed as I propped my elbows on my knees, and leaned my chin on the palms of both of my hands, letting out a frustrated sigh at the sight of the materialising and dematerializing creature before me. There was no way I was going to get even one percent of training here. So I laid down on the cold ground, the cool contact sending a wave of relief through my back.

I lifted my hands and brought them up to my face in a fruitless attempt to cover my face as Obsidian -whom I had seriously not noticed until now and don't ask me how- had come up to me and caught my hand midway. How does he get to know where am I at which time of the day.

"What do you want?" I asked, sleepily.

"What are you doing here so early? You know the games start in 3 hours." He stated with a shrug, squatting and bending over a little so his face was just above mine, shielding me from the first sun rays. The internal fight I had with myself to prevent a blush was enough training for me.

"I was here to train but apparently the device can't find me an opponent." I swear, if his hair was some inches longer, it would have touched my nose and I'd be giggling.

Don't tell anyone that I'm ticklish

He suddenly got up and I groaned, instantly hiding my eyes as the light hit me full force again. I felt cool again and realized it was the shadow of Obsidian. I slightly parted my fingers, not fully removing my hand, still scared of those assassinating rays only to see Obsidian standing, his left hand outstretched towards me.

"What do you want?" If he's gonna mess with me then he's better going away.

"You just said you needed someone to train with. And we both know that I'm the best for this. Now come on. Unless you're scared that I beat the great y/n" he said, laughing lightly and I'd be lying if I said that my heart didn't just skip a beat.

I took his hand and stood as he pulled me up. We were close. Too close. The run-up had caused me to nearly crash on him but by the time I composed myself we were too close. This is why I sometimes think that even gravity hates me.

"Already falling for me." His voice came out weirdly. God knows what goes on in his mind.

Yes.

"Oh hush. You're the one having a high self-esteem." I said more to myself than him.

"You didn't deny it though. Anyways, up for the challenge."

"How could I possibly deny. Let's just get started."

This is so like when I was still learning magic. He just dragged me out and ordered me to fight him but I guess he got his manners back now.

~Thirty minutes later [SpongeBob style] brought to you by Juvia trying to rap~

(Nico's POV)