Chapter 13

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 13

The next day couldn’t pass any slower. I tried to distract myself with a movie or with a book  but the time just wouldn’t pass. 

Jeffrey texted me at noon, saying that his parents were leaving at three and that he was going to pick me up at around four thirty.

I had lunch and watched another movie before going up to my room, taking a shower, and getting dressed.

I put my wallet, keys, and phone in my small red purse which matched my red sandals. I loved the white dress I was wearing especially when I got tanned. It was one of the cutest dresses I owned. 

Just as I finished applying some lip gloss my phone lit up. It was a message from Jeffrey, saying that he was here. I grabbed my purse and went outside.

“Hi!” I said as I closed the car door.

He didn’t reply so I looked at him and found him staring at me.

“What?” I asked.

He blinked. “Nothing,” he said then cleared his throat. “I like your dress.”

I smiled. “Thanks!”

“Seatbelt,” he said, finally shifting his eyes away from me.

I put on my seatbelt and we drove to his house which wasn’t really far from mine. I could’ve walked there, but he insisted on picking me up.

The first thing I noticed when I stepped into his house were the endless paintings. On every wall of the house there was a painting. Some were small and others big but they were all so beautiful.

“Wow,” I said as I stared at the painting above one of the couches in the living room. Its colors matched those of the room. It was a painting of a forest. The trees were green and the flowers colorful with a small trail between the trees.

Jeffrey looked at the painting as well and said, “Yeah, my mom does them.”

“Really?” I said, shocked. It looked like a painting one would find in a museum.

“Yeah, she likes to paint and spends most of her time painting.”

He then pointed to a small room to the right of the room and added, “This is like her little art room. Want to see it?”

“Yes!” 

He opened the door of the small room. Inside there were hundreds of paintbrushes of different sizes and many white canvases and all the different colors of paint. There was an incomplete painting next to which was a window that overlooked the small garden they had behind their house.

“It’s so cute!” I said. “It reminds me of the room Noah did for Allie in ‘The Notebook’.”

“I’ve never seen that movie,” he replied.

I gasped. “No! You’re kidding!” 

He shook his head, smiling at my reaction.

“You HAVE to watch it,” I said. Are there people who have never seen ‘The Notebook’? I couldn’t believe it!

“If you watch it with me then I’ll watch it,” he replied.

“Are you planning another date?” I asked, raising my eyebrows at him.

“Yup.”

“I wouldn't do that if I were you.”

“Why not?”