Chapter 4

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 4

“We’re home!” Patrick yelled when we stepped into his house.

When no one replied, Patrick shrugged and said, “Probably playing hide-and-seek.”

I laughed and shook my head. His parents were so childish! The older they turned, the more childish they became. I never understood why they were like that but they seemed happy and that was all that mattered.

“I knew you were hiding in there!” I heard Patrick’s dad yell and his mom squeal like a little girl. Patrick rolled his eyes but I could see him smiling.

We went up to the second floor and I went into the guest room closest to Patrick’s room. Every time I came here I would take the same room. It was almost the same size as my room at home. It had a double bed in the middle of the room and two huge closets on the right side. On the left side of the room, there was a white door that led to a small white bathroom. The walls of the room were light blue and white making it seem very peaceful. What I loved the most about it was that it was extremely neat and peaceful. It didn’t have any unnecessary stuff like a desk since it was just a guest room and I had a beautiful view of the garden from that room.

After I placed my clothes in the closet, I went back downstairs where Patrick’s parents were now trying to decide what to cook for dinner.

“Hi Elle!” They greeted me excitedly when I entered the kitchen.

“Hi,” I replied, giving them a smile.

“Where is the food?” Patrick started complaining as soon as he stepped into the kitchen. “I’m starving!”

“I still didn’t cook anything!” His mom said. “What do you want?”

“I’m too hungry, I can’t wait long enough for you to cook something,” he wined and I rolled my eyes at him. When Patrick got hungry, he kept on wining and he became really annoying like a little kid. “Dad make some grilled cheese sandwiches.”

“You don’t want me to cook anything?” His mom asked, glancing at me as if asking my permission.

“I’m fine with grilled cheese sandwiches,” I replied. Patrick got his ‘cooking skills’ from his dad, which meant that his dad knew absolutely nothing about cooking. The only difference between Patrick and his dad was that his dad could make one amazing thing and that is grilled cheese sandwiches. Patrick couldn’t even make lemonade but he always said that someday he’ll find the one thing he can cook just like his dad. I doubted it, though.

“Alright then! You’re doing the cooking tonight!” Patrick’s mom said, giving her husband a wide smile and leaving the kitchen. He sighed dramatically and started taking out the stuff he needed. I asked if he needed any help but he refused, saying that he only needed his ‘magical cooking skills’.

Patrick and I went outside to the garden. The sun was gone by now but it wasn’t dark in the garden because there were bright lights everywhere. We sat on the swing outside and enjoyed the cool air. I loved the mountains during summer because it didn’t get too hot here. The weather was just perfect here during summer.

“Remember when we used to come here when we were twelve?” Patrick said a few minutes later as we swung slowly back and forth. I glanced at him, smiling slightly at his yellow cap. It was one of my favorites.

“Yeah, I do.”

Lindsay and I used to come here with Patrick ever since we were in grade six and a year after, Belinda started joining us. His parents loved it when we came here and we loved it too. It was mostly during the summer because during winter it was too cold here. We used to run around the garden all day and have water fights all the time. Only Patrick’s parents were okay with us having water fights and using the kitchen to make weird mixtures, just like all kids do, and that is why Lindsay, Belinda, and I loved coming here. When we used to spend the day at someone else’s place, we used to mostly play hide-and-seek or video games because the more interesting stuff were not allowed. We spent some of the best days of our childhood in this house and specifically this garden.