Chapter 9

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 9

As soon as I sat down in the chair, Jeffrey stood up and said, “One sec.”

He went to the counter and grabbed a tray. After paying the guy on the counter, he returned to our table.

I glanced at the brown tray as he set it down on the small wooden table and saw two plates with a piece of blueberry cheesecake on each and two huge chocolate milkshakes.

“Thanks,” I said, smiling at him as I took a sip of one of the milkshakes.

He looked at me and smirked.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing,” he replied. “Your eyes just look so blue today. They’re pretty.”

“Thank you,” I replied shooting him a brief glare.

He chuckled. “So when are you going to admit that your eyes are not blue?”

“When you tell me what color you think they are.”

He leaned forward as if he was going to tell me a secret and he said in a low voice, “I think they don’t have any color at all.”

“Really?” I asked, feigning surprise. “Is that even possible?”

“You tell me,” he replied, sitting back in his chair. His brown eyes were shining with curiosity and interest.

I shrugged and busied myself with the delicious blueberry cheesecake. I didn’t know what to tell him or how to explain about my eyes. I didn’t even understand it so how could I make him understand?

What if he thought I was a freak? Maybe he had been thinking that ever since the day at the supermarket.

“Will you ever take off your contacts in front of me?” He asked when he noticed that I wasn’t going to say anything.

I shrugged again. “Maybe. Someday.”

“How did you get them?”

 “No idea. I was born like that.”

It was weird to talk to Jeffrey about my eyes but I wasn’t scared of his reaction anymore. I knew he wasn’t going to tell anyone. He was just curious like any other person would be.

“Huh,” he replied. “Your parents didn’t do anything about it?”

“My mom is an eye doctor. She did her research about ‘transparent eyes’ but came up with nothing. I could see normally and didn’t have any other problems so I started wearing blue contacts.”

“You’re mom’s an optometrist? Kind of ironic.”

“I know,” I said, grinning. My parents and I used to always say how weird (and lucky) it was that my mom’s an optometrist. I couldn’t imagine where I would be now if she wasn’t an eye doctor. I could’ve been in another country, in a lab, being experimented on.

He chuckled. “Who else knows?”

“Other than my parents, only Patrick and Lindsay. And now you.”

“I feel special,” he replied and I rolled my eyes.

I glanced around the café for a bit. It was filled with young people, people around our age. We rarely saw adults or families around here; it was more of a hang out place for young adults. I wondered how many of the people in there were wearing colored contacts. When I saw people wearing colored contacts it made me feel somehow more normal. It was weird being the only person in the world with colorless eyes. Sometimes I liked to believe that there were other people in the world with transparent eyes who put on colored contacts to hide their real eyes from others; people just like me, and that it was just a matter of time before one of us was exposed to doctors and scientists.