Chapter 5

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 5

“We are going to a party Thursday night.”

“Hello to you too,” Patrick said sarcastically as I sat in the wooden chair of the café where Jeffrey and I first officially met.

Patrick, Lindsay, and Belinda arrived before me and they each had a drink in front of them.

“One sec,” I said as I stood up and went to the counter to get my own drink. I got a cookie too but I knew I would only get to eat a part of it because my friends would want to have a piece too. I didn’t mind, though; we always shared food. Kind of.

“And I still laugh at the unoriginal name every time,” I heard Belinda say as I got back to the table.

“Which name?” I asked.

“The Café.”

I chuckled. The café we were at was actually called ‘The Café’. It was the most unoriginal name. Original and different names usually attracted people but The Café had more customers than any other café around here even though it had the most unoriginal name.

 “Oh and Elle, I can’t go to that party on Thursday,” she added.

“Why not?”

“I have a date with Freddy.”

“Interesting,” I said with a smile and she blushed slightly. I could tell that Belinda really liked Freddy and from what she told us, he definitely liked her as much as she liked him. It was really nice to see Belinda that happy and I really hoped it would last.

“I’m in,” Patrick said.

“Me too!” Lindsay said excitedly.

“Great!”

I wasn’t going to go to that party alone. I needed my friends with me if I was going to spend that much time with Jeffrey.

“Why do you even want to go to that party?” Patrick asked curiously.

I shrugged. “I just feel like partying.”

He narrowed his eyes at me and I gave him a look that made him shut up for now. He nodded slightly before changing the subject.

“So after the party, do you guys want to sleep over? At the mountain house, I mean,” Patrick said.

“I can’t! I have to be home Friday morning because my cousins are coming to spend the day,” Lindsay said.

“Then how about all of you come for a sleepover on Friday?”

“I’m in!” Belinda said excitedly.

“Me too,” Lindsay and I said at the same time. It was exciting! We haven’t been up all together this summer yet.

“I’m going to buy something to eat,” Lindsay said as she stood up from her chair.

“I’ll go with you. I’m starving!” Belinda said as she followed Lindsay to the counter.

Patrick gave me a look once they were gone and I started talking. I told him about the encounter with Jeffrey at the beach and the beach party on Thursday.

“I don’t want to go on my own so I’m glad you and Lindsay are coming.”

“You know I won’t say no to a beach party. Plus this Jeffrey guy is hilarious. I would love to hear what comment he has about your eyes this time.”