Chapter 10

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 10

“How do I look? Is the food good? What if it’s too hot or, worse, too cold?”

I pressed my lips together to stop myself from laughing at my dad. He invited Tamara over for lunch today. He cooked one of his best meals for her and he was dressed nicely but he was acting like a teenage girl going on her first date and it was hilarious.

“Dad, calm down. The food is amazing and you look handsome.”

“Really?” He asked uncertainly.

He was pacing in the kitchen, a worried look on his face.

“Yes!”

“What should I say when she arrives? What should we talk about?” He asked, widening his eyes.

I couldn’t hold it in this time, I laughed.

“It’s not funny, Do!” He yelled at me.

“Sorry, sorry,” I said, still grinning widely. “Just tell her she looks pretty.”

“And then what?” He asked, listening intently.

“Start a normal conversation with her.”

“About what?”

“Anything!”

“What if I say something stupid?”

“You won’t, just relax!”

He let out a sigh and kept on pacing. Before I could speak again, the doorbell rang.

“It’s her! What do I do? What do I do?” He said, the panic in his voice rising.

“Open the door,” I said, laughing at him again. I never thought my dad would be that nervous about a date!

“Right!” He exclaimed and ran to the front door. I heard Tamara’s voice saying a shy ‘hello’ and it took my dad a few seconds to say ‘hi’ back.

When I didn’t hear anything for the next five seconds, I went to the front door and found them both looking nervous, awkward, and shy. I rolled my eyes at them and stepped forward.

Tamara was wearing a beautiful yellow summer dress with black sandals. Her brown hair fell just below her shoulders and a light blush covered her cheeks. She looked gorgeous.

“Hi!” I said, smiling at her.

“Hi, Elle,” she replied, returning my smile.

“Come in, come in,” I told her and she stepped in, glancing briefly at my dad. “My dad prepared a delicious lunch!”

She smiled and looked at my dad again who looked like he was hyperventilating. “Really?”

“Yup, you’ll love it!”

My dad smiled awkwardly.

“I’m going out for a bit, I’ll see you later. Have fun,” I told them as I grabbed my beach bag and walked towards the front door.

My dad gave me a nervous look and I just smiled at him reassuringly.

I heard my dad finally speak, telling her that she looks pretty, as I closed the front door behind me. One minute later, Patrick arrived in his Mini Cooper.

 I told Patrick that my dad had a date today and we decided to go to the beach so that I don’t bother my dad and Tamara.

“She’s here?” Was the first thing Patrick said when I slid into the passenger’s seat in his car.