Chapter 12

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 12

“Oh my God!” Lindsay said enthusiastically. “That is so cute!”

I had just told her how Jeffrey asked me out. He had left a few minutes ago and Patrick, Lindsay, and I were watching TV. I smiled and nodded, blushing slightly.

“What are you going to wear?” She asked, bouncing with excitement.

“I’m thinking about my white summer dress. What do you think?” I asked.

“Perfect!” She replied, her eyes lighting up. “With your red sandals and matching purse?”

“Yup.”

“Awesome!”

“Who would’ve thought older guys will like little innocent Elle,” Patrick joked and Lindsay laughed while I scowled.

“He’s not that much older,” I complained. “Only three years.”

“Ooh Elle dating a college guy,” Lindsay teased and I rolled my eyes.

I was actually really excited about the date and my dad was too when I told him about it the next day. He didn’t mind that Jeffrey was older; he actually said that it was better to date someone a few years older. He also told me about his date with Tamara and I couldn’t stop smiling while he blushed.

They were going out again in two days, the day Jeffrey and I had our first date.

Belinda called me that morning, asking if I were free and when I said yes, she suggested I went over because she said she needed my help with something.

I showered, got dressed, and walked over to her place. 

“Hey,” I said when she opened the front door.

“Hey,” she replied, looking slightly sad.

“What’s up?” I said once we were seated in her room.

“I don’t know… I just—” she said then sighed.

“What is it?” I urged.

“Last night I went out with Freddy and we ran into his ex and she’s older than me and she’s gorgeous and I felt that he still liked her,” she said, smiling sadly.

A few seconds of silence passed then she added, “And I asked my cousin about her she told me that she and Freddy broke up around three months ago after they had been together for three years. Three years, Elle! Of course he still has feelings for her and she seems much better than me. How can I even compete with this?”

“Hey, hey, Belinda no one said she was better than you! So what if she’s pretty? Amanda’s gorgeous but she’s such a bitch. Looks don’t define who you are, alright?”

She nodded slightly.

“And I won’t say that he surely doesn’t have any feelings for her but right now he’s interested in you, not her. It is very hard to get over someone after going out with them for three years but not impossible. Ask him about her. Talk about it.”

“Maybe you’re right,” she said, a few seconds later. “I just didn’t say anything last night because I was too shocked. We haven’t talked about exes yet.”

“Well, I guess it’s time you do,” I replied.

“You’re right, Elle, thanks,” she said, smiling slightly.