an unpleasant past to revisit

Sarah's POV

From my earliest memories, I remember a warm brown haired middle-aged man carrying me on his back as he ran around. The wind that brushed my face was cool and calming, soft and gentle. Whenever he would set me down, immediately, I would be caught in a loving embrace from a middle-aged woman with genial smile.

Then, time moves so fast. The hazy memories of pain, suffering, loneliness, sadness, anger and humiliation started clearing up.

"Stop it. Please." I mutter quietly as Devon kicked my stomach, knocking the breath out of me.

I lay on the ground, curled up trying my best to shield myself from incoming attacks. I let a tear slip as the pain in my chest intensified. I was human and unlike them, I had no super healing powers. I knew the pain would last for months until my body healed up for them to beat again.

Yes, I am human. A human in a pack of wolves.

Devon left, sneering at me and I sighed in relief. I pushed myself up, thanking whatever supreme being out there that the abuse only lasted an hour, shorter than the usual.

I dragged myself to my room in the attic. It was excruciating especially when I needed to my move my battered body. Once I got to my room, I slammed the door shut and sagged on the wall, leaning on it for support.

I examined my 'room' and I snorted. I don't think anyone would be able to call it a room. There was no bed, only a thin sheet of old blanket covered the floor. That was my make-shift bed.

There was a light bulb hanging low, nearly touching my head when I'm standing. There was a bathroom but it was too small. There was no shower, only a faucet and a bucket. Thankfully, the attic had no rodents except for the occasional ants, spiders and mosquitoes.

I clutched my stomach, trying to bear the pain.

Sometimes, I think to myself that I deserve this kind of life. Why not? I was not like them. Strong. Beautiful. I was weak and pathetic. A mere human.

A whimper escaped my lips and the fat tears that I had valiantly tried to smother roll down my cheeks, staining my shirt.

I hated this life. I hated being human. I hated them all.

My life wasn't always like this. From what I was told, as a baby, I was left in the doorstep of a werewolf couple. Although I was an abandoned baby, I had my foster parents, the werewolf couple adopt me. They were kind and warm. They gave an orphan like me a home. They gave me security.

I knew the reason why they adopted me was mainly due to their inability to conceive. A long time ago, Daniel and Mary Red experienced a rogue attack when they were out of pack borders. My foster mom, Mary, suffered a cut on her lower abdomen. Even with the faster regenerative abilities of supernaturals, she still couldn't repair the whole damage.

When they saw me on their porch crying my lungs out, they thought I was a blessing from the Moon Goddess, an answer to their prayers. They pleaded with the Alpha, Augustus August, to formally take me in, to accept me as one of their own into the pack even when I was human.

Because Daniel Red was the Beta and the Alpha's childhood best friend, the Alpha hesitantly allowed but with certain conditions. And, that was for me to keep their secrets, that I could never divulge that they were supernaturals.

The Beta profusely thanked the Alpha. After all, how hard was it to keep a secret?

And so started my life. I was lived a somewhat normal life in a somewhat extraordinary environment. I didn't have much trouble growing up. I was even fortunate to be adopted by Betas- the second powerful werewolves in a pack. Nobody dared bully me because of my foster parents. But that didn't stop the discrimination.