Chapter 15.

"I am so clumsy." – Safa Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 15. -

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

The next day I walked into the building and someone called me from behind. I turned around and saw Abdul. Seeing his face, I suddenly felt the need of wearing a hijab. I hated that all these years he had a bad eye on me.

"How are you?" he said as he got close. I kept staring at him and without saying anything, I started walking again.

"Safa, wait", he grabbed my hand. "I want to talk to you."

"Really? 24 hours ago you avoided me. You went home early and you didn't even explain what was bothering you. Now you suddenly want to talk to me?" I snapped at him.

He sighed. "Is this what this is about? Is this why you're mad, since I didn't talk to you yesterday?" he asked. I snatched my hand away from him.

"I think you should give your feelings a second thought. You see this ring", I put my hand up so he could see it. I decided to wear it everywhere now, so no other man thought of even getting close to me. I was using this ring as a barrier from all men.

"This tells you something. Stay away from me. I always thought of you as someone sensible and decent. But unfortunately, you disappointed me. I think we've been friends for a long time. But this ends here", I spoke firmly and walked away.

"You can't end our long friendship in a matter of few seconds. Our friendship is so important to me Safa. I don't want to lose you", he said. I felt uncomfortable standing in my jeans and t-shirt in front of him. He wasn't as innocent as I always thought he was.

"You haven't valued our friendship like I did. You never saw me as a friend Abdul. You love me?! How was that even possible for you?" I said. He looked down.

"I couldn't resist. I didn't want to, but I did. I love you Safa", he said as he grabbed my hand again. "I would do anything to get you to marry me. I need a wife like you. Please say yes. I love you Safa. I love you so much" he sounded so desperate. He got a little close and tucked my hair behind my ear. He started stroking my cheek lightly.

"Look at those beautiful eyes. Just amazing", he finished. I could see a sparkle in his eyes and it wasn't a very friendly one. Without thinking for another second, I slapped him. He backed away and looked at me.

"Next time, I send you behind the bars. Respect a woman and then love one", I spoke firmly and quickly walked away.

                                                           _____

Ramadan started two days ago. The routine had changed and we all were sleeping no later than 2  every night, since we all went for taraweeh. Mama and I used to prepare suhoor and then Haneen and Zahra cleaned up afterwards. My exams had been finished and Ramadan was kind of like a summer break for me.

Ramadan goes by so fast. It felt like a blink of an eye and we had already reached the last 10 blessed days of Ramadan. Baba and Hammad sat in the aitikaaf, while mama and us three sisters used to pray at home.

When only 3 days were left for eid, mama gave us a news. I wouldn't call it a great news as it really wasn't.

"Great news kids", mama said as we sat down for dinner. I smiled as I placed the macaroni dish on the table. Haneen brought the juice and we all finally settled down for dinner.

"I asked Zainab and Harris if they would like to get together for eid", she began. I stopped midway while taking out macaroni for myself. The spoon unintentionally fell out of my hand. The macaroni spread on the table and also on some people.