Chapter 3.

"What was I saying? Omar was no match for me." - Fareedah Ahmed, Gravity.

Chapter 3 -

There is not much to say

☮ Omar Zohair ☮

She did change. She was taller, well of course. But she wasn't what my mother had pictured. She must be pretty to some other people... or guys, but I didn't find anything attractive about her. I started sweating thinking about how she was going to be my wife.

"...And this is Haneen. You remember her, Omar?" Aunty Jameelah asked me as she pointed to the girl standing next to her. I narrowed my eyes. That wasn't Safa?

"Um... Not really. Sorry", I replied casually. She laughed. "That's not a problem. Haneen is my third oldest daughter", she explained with a smile. I felt embarrassed to have mistaken my future wife's sister as my wife. Ugh, what am I saying. Future wife? Although it was a reality, I didn't want to accept this reality. If Haneen didn't please me, so won't Safa. They both were sisters after all. I sat down with the same hesitant feeling. All of them were so casual and friendly among each other while I sat still, dreading the moment I agreed to come here. I kept patting my legs nervously as I waited for Safa to reveal herself. It's not that I wanted to see her; It's just that I wanted to get over this feeling of mine and go home.

After a while, Haneen got up and went upstairs. I guess she was going to bring Safa with her. I looked like I was so anxious to see her. Well, I was. But that wasn't in a good way. I sat rubbing my sweaty hands against each other.

A few moments later, I saw my dad smiling as he looked towards the stairs. And that's how I knew Safa was coming. I had my back towards the stairs and so I couldn't see her until she came and met everyone sitting on the couch. Apparently, Haneen, her sister, didn't go to get her since Safa was alone and Haneen wasn't with her.

I watched as she met everyone but I still hadn't seen her face. What she looked like, was still a mystery to me.

When she finally faced me, I saw her. She had long hair and big brown eyes but she actually wasn't any better than her sister. Whatever my mother had said was turning out to be a lie. She didn't look at me; as if she was also not interested in this marriage. But I definitely didn't see anything in her. She didn't impress me but instead, disappointed me. She used to be so cute when she was a baby. But now, she had a woman's face and had tried making herself pretty with hundred pounds of make up. I was supposed to marry this box of makeup?

I sat back in the couch and every now and then, stared at her. She didn't look at me a single time and what my mother had said about her not being rude, was also turning out to be a lie. She was more rude than I could ever be. But that was only towards me. Was that even considered rude or did she have the same feelings towards this marriage as me?

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

I greeted Aunty Abeedah and sat next to my mother, who happened to be enjoying the most. All adults were busy in chatting vigorously among themselves. I sat uncomfortably in my place. Omar was sitting right in front of me and I didn't even have to be introduced to him to notice the same face he had as a kid. Of course it had a manly look now, but he had the same face cuts. It was amazing how he hadn't changed a bit. But what my mom told me about him was a lie. He wasn't handsome; I atleast thought he wasn't. Sure, he was a doctor and all but that doesn't make him handsome. Nothing can make this guy handsome. I wasn't convinced on this wedding and now my decision was final. Whatever happens, I'm not marrying him. If he doesn't impress me or if I don't like, islamically, it's haraam to marry him. I could actually feel him looking at me but I didn't glance at him a single time. If he was interested in me, he would be one of those annoying husbands who do anything to get their wife's attention. Who do cheap and unnecessary romantic stuff to get their wives to love them.