Chapter 5.

"Did you tell Safa's family no already?" -Omar Zohair, Gravity.

Chapter 5.

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

At dinner the following night, my mom and dad didn't talk about Omar or the wedding. We all kept eating and talked about old times or the coming weekend. This coming weekend mom and dad decided to take us to Universal Studios, since we didn't go there for the last one year or two. People thought since we live in the same city, it's easy for us to visit it every now and then. But it's really not. We also have to check out budget and schedule.

"If we don't leave before 2, we won't have any time to spend there", Hammad suggested and Zahra nodded. "This is actually the first time I agree with him", she said and we all laughed.

"Well it's a miracle", Haneen commented. And everyone laughed again.

"Safa, why are you so quiet?" Mama asked and I faked a smile. "I'm just listening to you guys", I said but I could tell mama was still not convinced with my answer. She didn't say anything after that, but somehow I knew she would come to my room at night.

Even though Hammad had promised me to convince mom and dad against this marriage, I will not be relieved until it actually happened. Asking baba to say no to his brother was something nobody could ever think about. I doubted what Hammad had said. A little voice at the back of my head knew it wouldn't work. And maybe in the next one week or two, I might be getting ready for my wedding.

After dinner, I cleaned the table and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. After turning it on, I turned the kitchen lights off and cleaned the living room. Zahra's notebooks and Haneen's bag rested on the couch and so I left it there. I had to show them that they can't always leave their things lying around, and someone will come pick them up for them.

After everything was cleaned up, I walked up to my room. I couldn't sleep so I took my phone out and started playing Subway Surfers. I hadn't played it for a long time when I heard a knock on my door. I sat up and saw mama coming inside.

"You aren't asleep yet?" I asked her and she shook her head. "I wanted to talk to you", she said. I sighed. I knew exactly what she would talk to me about.

"Yes?" I said.

"Safa, why are you taking this Omar thing to your head? Just relax", she said as she stroked my hair. I smiled sarcastically.

"How can I relax mama? You're forcing me to marry him and you're saying I should be relaxed?" I said. She sighed. "Why do we have to force you? Why aren't you convinced?" she asked.

I looked at her. "Mama I.... I'm just not. Look, Islam doesn't believe in forced marriages. Forced marriages are haraam mama. Why can't you understand that?" I said. I was frustrated and annoyed at her question. I just wasn't convinced and no one could not force me to be convinced. That would also be considered haraam somehow.

"I know sweety, I know. I don't want to force you either. I'm ok with it if you and Omar don't marry. But your dad won't listen to me. He just wants to do what his father wanted", she explained.

"Wait so, you're on my side?" I asked her and she nodded. I smiled. "Thankyou mama", I hugged her.

"But that doesn't make any difference. Your baba wants all of this done his way and he will get you married to Omar under all circumstances. He's not ready to listen to what I or you have to say", she said. I put my head down on my knees.

"Why is he doing this? I'm sure if grandpa was alive today, he wouldn't force this marriage", I said and mom nodded again.

"I'm sure he wouldn't. But your dad just wants what he wanted. Of course we can't ask your grandfather what would he want in this situation", my mom said. I sighed.